New Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N3PTUN3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I am about to set up a quarantine tank, having just lost 5 fish (2 zebra danios and 3 cardinal tetras) within a couple of days of adding the cardinal tetras (there were six to start with).

I wanted to ask your advice on cycling the new tank. I have read that using gravel from an existing tank is a good way to start things off, but I'm not sure if my main tank is fully cycled.

The tank is 125 litres and has been on the go since 1st April and currently has readings of

NH3 = 0.25
NO2 = 0.1
NO3 = <5
pH = 7

I have never seen a spike of any description. I test the water daily. My local aquarium supplier told me it has done a 'stealth' cycle. The tank currently contains 4 silvertip tetras, 2 zebra danios, 3 cardinal tetras and 3 baby bristlenose catfish. Thank God all seem healthy at the moment, but was worried when i lost so many two weeks ago (hence the quarantine tank).

I'd appreciate your advice on whether the tank has cycled and whether I should use gravel from it to help seed the new tank.

:)

I keep a sponge filter in my main tank for my quarantine. I'll transfer it over with water from the main tank a few days before the fish arrive and maybe toss some flakes in during that period to feed the bacteria. Should take about a month or so to let it seed after adding it to the main tank though, so it's not a short-term solution.

Hi

I am about to set up a quarantine tank, having just lost 5 fish (2 zebra danios and 3 cardinal tetras) within a couple of days of adding the cardinal tetras (there were six to start with).

I wanted to ask your advice on cycling the new tank. I have read that using gravel from an existing tank is a good way to start things off, but I'm not sure if my main tank is fully cycled.

The tank is 125 litres and has been on the go since 1st April and currently has readings of

NH3 = 0.25
NO2 = 0.1
NO3 = <5
pH = 7

I have never seen a spike of any description. I test the water daily. My local aquarium supplier told me it has done a 'stealth' cycle. The tank currently contains 4 silvertip tetras, 2 zebra danios, 3 cardinal tetras and 3 baby bristlenose catfish. Thank God all seem healthy at the moment, but was worried when i lost so many two weeks ago (hence the quarantine tank).

I'd appreciate your advice on whether the tank has cycled and whether I should use gravel from it to help seed the new tank.

:)
First of all, how big are the tanks? The QT and your main tank. Second of all, i advise against using gravel in a QT. Lots of places for bacteria to fester overtime. In my QT, i put in 3 plastic plants. AVOID ANY OTHER DECOR. Plastic plants are probably the only thing u can use in a QT. Secondly, u need to have great equipment. Filters 10 gallons higher than the tank, strong heaters, etc. I run my QT filter on one of my main tanks and move it to the QT when i need it. Just siphon water, without stirring up gravel, into your QT. i use a rubbermaid 10 gallon plastic bin. Never had a problem with it.

Sounds like a good idea, and I'm not in any hurry to buy new fish anyway. I'm just hoping the water in my current tank is ok. I'm not convinced it has cycled properly, but it seems strange after over two months with fish in it. The nitrate levels are so low. I'm afraid if I remove one of the filters from it, it will upset the balance.

Mr. Waffles

Gosh, I'm still new to this and it seems to get more and more complicated. My main tank is a Juwel Rio (125 litres) with a juwel bioflow 3.0 filter, and the quarantine tank is a AquaElPearl 40 (only 30 litres) It has a powerhead 350 filter.

Just keep up with daily water changes and you should get through it just fine. I've crashed a cycle before by adding too many fish, and made the problem worse by changing the substrate and removing all my existing rock work in the middle of it all. I didn't think my nitrite reading could get any purpler after the ammonia dropped down to 0, heheh.

I also added 10 nickle-size Angelfish to grow out and narrow to a pair while it was recovering. 50% daily water changes and everyone was just fine through it all. Water changes let you do some really dumb stuff and get away with it; although I'm not recommending purposeful ignorance because of that, but rather if you make a mistake, there's always a way to avoid disaster in the end with a little extra effort.

Back
Top Bottom