New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jh21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all , I got my first fish 2 lion head and 1 Blackmoor goldfish. The water was absolutely perfect as good as the shop were I got the fish from I was told. My tank has a filter system in it with and water agitator at the top and it's about 3cm below the water line. One of my lion heads and the Blackmoor keeps going to the top every so often and release air etc. they don't do it all the while just every so often also they seem to be breathing quite a lot. Am I doing something wrong ?! Do I need an stone bubble to create better agitation?! Sorry for the strange questions but new to this and wanna get it right for my fish!! Thanks!!

hey! this thread is actually in the wrong place lol, but it's all good. ;)
how big is the tank?
what exactly are your water parameters?
how long has the tank been setup?

Sorry lol couldn't work out were to place it!! , it's a 30l tank , the water was perfect no ammonia or anything and it has been setup for 7 days , they dont seem to be doing it as much now as they were earlier think I am just panicking for no reason ?

umm... i don't think you're panicking for no reason. they are probably gasping for air, as there is too much ammonia in the water. the reason your parameters were perfect when you set the tank up is because there were no fish there to create ammonia. now you are faced with the issue of having three VERY high bioload fish in a small tank with ammonia. i suggest doing twice daily 50% water changes until you can purchase a liquid test kit such as the API master kit, so that you can test your own water. then give us some readings, and we can determine how many water changes you really need to be doing. :)

Ok thanks for that , when I bought them I said to the person I didn't want to put too many in the tank as he said that 3 wasn't over so obviously this ain't true !! Will get a kit ASAP and test the water for ammonia thanks once again!!!!

Will this have happened that quickly even though the fish have only been in there for a few hours as only got them today

Your tank is overstocked.30l is about 8 gallons your moor goldfish grows to be about 6 inches so do the lion heads.I would recommend at least a 110l tank for your fish to be happy and swim around without feeling cramped

Jh21 said:
It's a 30L tank

Hi and welcome!
30L is 8g. 8g is a very small tank even for tropical fish let alone 3 goldfish. You are going to have A LOT of work cut out for you. You have a big decision to make. Those fish can not survive in that tank even short term. You are going to have to return them or get a bigger tank ASAP! Goldfish require large tanks an high filtration. 3 goldfish need a 140L tank minimum. Your tank IS cycling. Cycling is the process of growing bacteria in your filter to consume the ammonia your fish produce. I am going to add some links for you to read.
FISH IN
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

You are fighting a loosing battle with those fish in that tank I'm sorry.

fishman3 said:
Your tank is overstocked.30l is about 8 gallons your moor goldfish grows to be about 6 inches so do the lion heads.I would recommend at least a 110l tank for your fish to be happy and swim around without feeling cramped

Moors can get even bigger than that. 6 inches is still a baby. They can reach 10 or even 12 inches in the right conditions.

Back
Top Bottom