New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J19Reynolds

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I sat up a 60g bow front tank last night w water and sand.. I let the sand settle over night and turned in the filter this morning... I get home from work and it's still foggy... I dnt remember it stating this foggy w my other 55g tank ... Do I just give it more time to settle or what's your advice?

Yah give it more time and add some ammonia to start your tank cycle. Hope this helps!

Add ammonia removal? Or something else? I know in a Sw tank you can add a dead shrimp to help can u as well w a fw tank?

I have no saltwater experience but I imagine its the same basic principles- you need an ammonia source to cycle a tank. Shrimp will work but pure ammonia is alot cleaner & more accurate. Do you plan on fishless cycling this tank or fish-in? Did you wash the sand before adding to your tank? If it doesnt settle in the next day or so, some extra water changes should help to clear it up. Heres the fw guide- it has links to fish-in & fishless cycling.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

I am upgrading my 30g to this tank my fish are still in the 30g til this one is ready... Or until clear water then will probably go to fish in cycling.. After I added an extra filter from their tank now it's starting to clear morw

If your moving the fish & the filter and/or filter media from the 30g, you should be fine. I would just check your parameters daily for atleast a week after to be sure there arent any spikes of amm/nitrite. :)

Did you already move some media or filter from the 30g into the 60g? If you did, then a spike in the 30g would be expected because you removed a portion of the good bacteria.

jlk said:
Did you already move some media or filter from the 30g into the 60g? If you did, then a spike in the 30g would be expected because you removed a portion of the good bacteria.

Yes I moved one of the filters to the 60g... Haven't checked the reading on the 30g I will when I get home to see

Back
Top Bottom