New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmac911

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just set up a 75 gallon tank and overmaxed on fish but right now they are small. I want to know if its a good mix and if im right on how big theyl prolly get. So far there getting along well.
2 Banded Leporinus 8 in each
2 Angels 8in each
3 Tiger Barbs 3in each
3 Rosy Barbs 3in each
3 Red Finned Sharks 6in each
3 Bala Sharks 12in each
3 Rafael Catfish 8in each
3 Gold Gourami 5in each

The Banded Leporinus may look cute, but I have seen some TERRORS that killed every fish that hit the water.

The Bala Sharks definately need a larger tank.

I can't comment on the others since I've never kept them.

It sounds like you need to get rid of some of those fish,watch out for the leporinus....every once in a while they get like theyre fricken period and attack everything in your tank and they make you so mad you want to take them out of the water and snap them in half...

but luckily mine is nice and sweet lately and i love it.... :D

if i was you i would get rid of the barbs and the balas.

Welcome to AA!

As the other members have said, and which you admit, the tank is not a "community" tank at it stands. IMO, you really have only a couple of species in there that can co-habitate without causing problem and even then, you have to reduce their ranks.

The two angels and probably one of the raphael catfish. Everything else is either too big or too aggressive for each other. The barbs will nip at the angels and the gouramis, the bala sharks will get too big, etc.

You could consult a compatibility guide for reference.

Good luck.

Ok, so I got bored and looked up all the fish.

Banded Leporinus will grow up to 12 inches. Again, can attack almost any fish that is put into the tank. I have seen one attack African Cichlids that were 2 or 3 times his size and kill them. Not a pretty sight.

Angels are great choices for the tank. They grow to about 6 inches. A 75 gal tank is perfect for a few of them.

Tiger Barbs would not go well with the Angels. They are fin nippers.

Rosy Barbs will not be as bad as long as they are in a large enough school.

When you say Red Finned, do you mean the Redtail or the Rainbow ? They both have red fins. Both should only be kept singly, not in a group.

As said before, Bala Sharks wouldn't fare too well in a 75 gal tank.

The Gold Gourami would be an excellent choice. I don't know about the compatibility with Angels though since I've never housed the two together before.

The Raphael Catfish is very cute. I don't know how large they become but they can be housed with Angels.

HTH

Wow, great job, Fishyfinatic and Jchillin!!! Kudos coming your way! :D

Tmac911, Welcome to AA!!! :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi:
Congrats on buying a nicely sized tank that will allow you to keep a wide array of fish. Unfortunately, not ALL the ones you have right now, though!
What you've done is known as the "I'll take one of those...and one of those...and one of those..." stocking scheme. It's a recipe for disaster, but it's hard to avoid the temptation when there are so many fish to choose from.

I strongly suggest that you return ALL the fish to the store and ask for a store credit. Tell them that you made a hasty stocking decision and would like to do some research before deciding on your tank's inhabitants. If it's a decent store, they should accommodate you.

Which of these fish is your favorite? Can you number the list in the order in which you like them? This will help the folks here help you come up with a workable stocking scheme.

Meanwhile, do some research here and on the web about the nitrogen cycle and cycling. Ask any questions you might have.

My favorite are the Bala sharks, other than that it really dont matter

Tmac911 said:
I just set up a 75 gallon tank and overmaxed on fish but right now they are small. I want to know if its a good mix and if im right on how big theyl prolly get. So far there getting along well.
2 Banded Leporinus 8 in each
2 Angels 8in each
3 Tiger Barbs 3in each
3 Rosy Barbs 3in each
3 Red Finned Sharks 6in each
3 Bala Sharks 12in each
3 Rafael Catfish 8in each
3 Gold Gourami 5in each

oh dear you are definitly going to have to return some fish if you want them to be happy. .. i guess you've already been told but id just like to put my input. The tiger barbs will tear the angels fins to shreds unless they are kept in a very large school, and even that is risky. I would get rid of them and up your school of rosy barbs at least 6 as that would be the safest bet. Unless you want to return the angels then you can keep the tiger barbs, but still, you need them in schools of at least 6 to cut down on nipping.

Red finned sharks, rainbow sharks, ret tail sharks.. all can be the only shark in the tank, so if you want to keep the bala sharks you will have to lose these guys.

i can't comment on the rafael catfish, ive never had any experience with them. but i think your gouramis should be fine.

HTH and good luck.

i'v had a striped raphial for about a year and a half, i don't know how simmilar they are, but mine is pritty calm and sleepy. he sleeps almost all day underneath his rock and comes out for about a hour. he's realy nice and doesn't bug anyone hes nocternal and eats all the left over food and stuff. mine is only 8'' but i think that striped ones are smaller than the normal ones.

Back
Top Bottom