New Tank advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Novelistnotion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29gallon that has previously held three goldies and a pictus catfish. Obviously overstocked, cramped and unhealthy. Just transferred all four fish to better homes.

I want to try some tropical fish in a planted tank, and learn more about proper care of an aquarium. My sister wants to get glofish and I have done some research which basically says they are the same as zebra Danios, so I assume they will be fine in the same conditions.

I was thinking of black sand, with a good variety of plants, six or so glofish and some other varieties as well. I obviously don't want to overstock again, or add fish that won't be compatible. I was considering mollies (is there a big difference in the types? Can you have black and dalmation, for instance? Would two males or two females be okay if I don't want a lot?) What other fish would work? Are there any I should absolutely add for tank health and community?

Planning to reset and replant with new substrate and cycle things for a few weeks before adding fish. This will be a bit of a new experience for me, as we never really had a very healthy tank before and I don't fully understand the process.

Are there any immediate problems or issues with my plan? Anything I absolutely need or should be aware of?

You should try tiger barbs. They are a blast to keep and look amazing. You should also try rainbowfish, but be careful with cross breeding

Last edited:
I'd think a 29 would be too small for both those. The OP might look at platys, which are colorful and ideal for a 29. Just be aware that any livebearer group that has both males and females means you *will* get fry.

Back
Top Bottom