New Tank (currently cycling) - Stocking and Other Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dionisk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I'm a new starting aquarist. I bought a topfin 37g starter kit, set everything up, added the amounts of Nutrafin cycle that the guide recommended and waited 24 hours. My levels seem to have been fine, so I bought 5 tiger barbs to do a fish cycle as another site recommended. They were all dead 12-24 hours later. I checked the 3 levels and the only thing present was ammonia, which was at 0.25ppm (can tiger barbs die from that amount?).

Anyway, that pretty much turned me off from doing fish cycles, so now its fishless. I replaced my plastic plants with some live plants (4 stems of wisteria, 3ish java ferns, 2 moss balls [from lfs tank, figured it would help with seeding] some other floating moss, and one 2 lb rock from another seeded lfs tank. My substrate is a bottom layer of gravel, then a small half inch-inch layer of plant substrate (I don't have the bag anymore, it was kind of gravel sized black substrate), topped off by 1-3" of sand depending on the area). Do I need a better light? I don't know exactly what bulb came with my starter kit except that kits flourescent 30".

I also bought a bottle of Tetra Safestart, added the designated amount for my 37g, have the water temp set to 80*F to encourage the bacteria to thrive, and have added ammonia. I'm using the Ace Hardware one, but I may have overdosed. I at first added a cap, which seemed to have turned up the readings to 1 ppm. I added a second cap and it seemed to have upped it to 4ppm, but I'm worried that it might be higher as it seems like its more than what the calculators are telling me to add and more than others have added.

I also ordered an Angel Plus active sponge filter that's coming in a couple days to further seed and help my tank cycle. But from what I have read the filter is quite large and would use up a bit too much space. So I'm planning on cutting it up and placing it in my current HOB filter to seed that way.

I am also curious as to what I should stock it with once its fully cycled? Any recommendations?

Aqadvisor seems to also tell me that my HOB filter is not enough, should i get another HOB filter, and if so, which one?

Thank you in advance!

I'm just starting my first 20 gallon tank myself and doing a fish less cycle! Good luck and welcome! I've learned a lot from all the people on here. My angels filter I ordered is very large but I've heard you can cut it up so you will fine. Just to give you ideas this is my planned stock.

1 dwarf gourami
6/8 cherry barbs
5/6 black neon tetras or neon tetras
3/4 false bandit Cory's.

Hope this helps!

:welcome: to AA! :)
Well, I'm a new starting aquarist. I bought a topfin 37g starter kit, set everything up, added the amounts of Nutrafin cycle that the guide recommended and waited 24 hours. My levels seem to have been fine, so I bought 5 tiger barbs to do a fish cycle as another site recommended. They were all dead 12-24 hours later. I checked the 3 levels and the only thing present was ammonia, which was at 0.25ppm (can tiger barbs die from that amount?).
I'm not exactly sure how Nutrafin cycle works, but knowing that most bacteria-in-a-bottle products don't work, you either had dead bacteria to start with, or the wrong nitrifying bacteria. Did you add an ammonia source after you added the Nutrafin??? What are you checking your levels with, test strips or a liquid test kit? What about your nitrites and nitrates?
Anyway, that pretty much turned me off from doing fish cycles, so now its fishless. I replaced my plastic plants with some live plants (4 stems of wisteria, 3ish java ferns, 2 moss balls [from lfs tank, figured it would help with seeding] some other floating moss, and one 2 lb rock from another seeded lfs tank. My substrate is a bottom layer of gravel, then a small half inch-inch layer of plant substrate (I don't have the bag anymore, it was kind of gravel sized black substrate), topped off by 1-3" of sand depending on the area). Do I need a better light? I don't know exactly what bulb came with my starter kit except that kits flourescent 30".
Most lights that come with a starter kit suck, they're either a single or double T8 fixture, which is not enough light at all. What kind of bulb is it? If it is a T8 I would recommend T5s or T5HOs.
I also bought a bottle of Tetra Safestart, added the designated amount for my 37g, have the water temp set to 80*F to encourage the bacteria to thrive, and have added ammonia. I'm using the Ace Hardware one, but I may have overdosed. I at first added a cap, which seemed to have turned up the readings to 1 ppm. I added a second cap and it seemed to have upped it to 4ppm, but I'm worried that it might be higher as it seems like its more than what the calculators are telling me to add and more than others have added.
It's okay. Originally you're supposed to add 4 ppm ammonia to start the cycle. You seem to be doing everything right, although I don't think that Tetra Safestart is going to help you either like the Nutrafin.
Also, if you haven't already you may want to read this:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
I also ordered an Angel Plus active sponge filter that's coming in a couple days to further seed and help my tank cycle. But from what I have read the filter is quite large and would use up a bit too much space. So I'm planning on cutting it up and placing it in my current HOB filter to seed that way.

I am also curious as to what I should stock it with once its fully cycled? Any recommendations?
This is JMO, but I would add:
x8 Harlequin rasboras
x8 Threadfin or Furcata Rainbows
x1 Gold BristleNosed Pleco
x6 Panda Cories
x2 Pearl Gouramis
OR
x1 Angelfish
Not all at once, though.
Aqadvisor seems to also tell me that my HOB filter is not enough, should i get another HOB filter, and if so, which one?
What kind of filter? For how big of a tank? What is the GPH (gallons per hour) rating?
I would take AqAdvisors recommendation as a grain of salt. It is helpful for calculating a very rough and very ballpark estimate of your tank stocking, but it's just for entertainment. I would not take it seriously. Too many considerations too come into play when stocking your tank.
Thank you in advance!

My thoughts and comments above in the bold underlined red. Good luck! :)

Im checking my levels with the Master Kit, so vials not strips.

The light is a single bulb, so I assume single t8 is what I have?

For my filter it says, Power Filter 40, Up to 40 gallons, 200 GPH

Tank is a 37g,30l 12w 23h

Im checking my levels with the Master Kit, so vials not strips.

The light is a single bulb, so I assume single t8 is what I have?

For my filter it says, Power Filter 40, Up to 40 gallons, 200 GPH

Tank is a 37g,30l 12w 23h

That's good to hear!

Can you take the bulb out (if you have it on now, turn it off and let it cool) and check to see if there is anything written on it that indicates what kind of bulb it is? Until we do, we don't know.

The problem is that most filter compaines tend to overexaggerate on what their filters can do. It's usually recommended to get double the filtration for double the recommended tank size, ex. a filter for an 80 Gallon tank is double the size for a 30 Gallon tank. Also-IDK if this is completely accurate, so anyone feel free to correct me-but I do believe that if you divide the GPH by ten, you will get how big of a tank the filter can handle. So, 200/10=20 gallons. That's why I suggest getting a bigger filter, however I don't know if they selll filters with a 400 GPH, which is why I would get more than one.

I would recommend a larger filter, too. You want to look at a filters 'gph' (gallons per hour), not what the filter says its rated for (ie a 40g tank). For a 40g tank, i would look into a 300-400gph filter depending on the type of fish you plan on keeping. Messier fish would benefit from having a higher gph filter (400gph) if you are considering an HOB type filter. Marineland & Aqueon both make 400gph hob filters which are very reasonable on amazon (1/2 price when compared to buying in petco-type store). :)

Alright im currently letting the bulb chill to take a look at it.

Also what about aeration? How high should my water level be compared to the filter? Currently its as high as this following picture, the water basically touches the bottom outflow lip of the filter. I had it lower when the barbs were in but it made much more noise and the little barbs kept getting stuck in the flow. I understand that the filter stream hitting the water causes turbulence and thus increased aeration, but I minimized this turbulence to lower the sound. Was this a mistake, should I drop the water level until it starts breaking the surface area?

I believe I read that adequate oxygenation is necessary for cycling as well.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/1327162980877.jpg/

Last edited:
Bought the filter and installed. Should the input of the filter power cord be submerged in water? It seems like based on the diagram and if I keep the water level to the indicated 1" below rim line, then the power cord input cord part is under the water. Is this safe?

Whether the cord is in or out of the water depends on how high your water levels are. Mine do sit in the water without an issue. Just make sure you turn everything off when you do water changes as a safety precaution. :)

I am not an expert on plants but i have a single T8 bulb on my 20g & wisteria & java fern grow just fine. I do add 2x weekly doses of flourish comprehensive after big water changes. Obviously, a light upgrade will give you more options for plants but ill let the experts help you out with this! :)

I did a slight water change because the ammonia readings were just too bothersome - it was around a 10% change - may do more later.

My plants do not look too good, ill take pictures and post later.

Couple further questions.

1. Driftwood. Where can I buy it online? I plan on getting pleco/s eventually and would like to get some reputable driftwood for those little fellows, though getting them is still a ways off.

2. What are some reputable places online to buy fish? Is this even a popular choice? There is an amazing LFS nearby named Allfish Emporium that is the largest fish store in the country supposedly (it is indeed an amazing store), but I just feel there might be some species online that are not available in store.

3. What is the acceptable way for doing PWC? Currently I do the following: Use a python to drain tank water out. In the meantime I will a bucket with water, pour some conditioner in the bucket, wait a few minutes, and then pour the bucket into my tank. Is this how you guys do it? Or can I just suck water out with the python, then add some conditioner to the tank and just reverse flow on the python and directly put tap water in since ive added conditioner right beforehand? Or is that method too much exposure to chlorine before the conditioner takes effect?

Thanks again.

Im sure other members have suggestions for buying fish online- it really depends on what you are looking for! Quite a few members sell fish as well so its worth checking out the classifieds here. I now only purchase fish from online/ private breeders because what i am looking for can not be found locally. Some lfs stores (local mom & pop type) will special order specific fish, too.

In respect to pwcs, i usually buckets (and condition each bucket) for smaller tanks. For bigger ones, the water changer & refill directly from the tap after dosing the tank with conditioner. I then let the water sit for @15mins before turning everything back on. I dont know where to buy driftwood online but im sure others will have some suggestions! Hope this helps! :)

I currently am looking at buying fish online as well because I don't have any good lfs becides petco and petsmart. There's an awesome saltwater store but no freshwater stores. I was advised to try

Aquabid.com

I myself found this place called the pet place that I like a lot. They have a fish that I can't seem to find any where else

www.thepetplace.com

If anyone has any other places it would be greatly appreciated!

I've never bought from them yet but as soon as they have what I'm looking for in stock I plan on buying them there. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ordered one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BJP4YC as im worried about my plants. Realized that following the rough 2-3watts per gallon rule, my simple 20watt 30inch light and hood were quite inadequate to grow anything in this 37g. Seems like a great fixture for the price.

Also realizing how expensive this hobby can get...even without any fish yet. Though trying to get these plants to grow is almost as awesome as the fish themselves.

Well, the order from Angels Plus came. Got some driftwood for future bristlenose, a 4inch active sponge, and some Hornwort. Cut up the sponge into smaller pieces and put it into both hob filters as well as drained the bag water into tank. Could see deposits in the water and on the filter, so heres hoping it will help. Light will come Saturday.

Readings before placing filter today were

Ammonia : 2.0ppm ish
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm

Back
Top Bottom