new tank filter cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepseadennis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,i was just wondering how long should i leave it until i need to clean my filter? The tank is 40 gallons running a eheim classic cannister filter (3 or 4 mesh pads 1 wool and 1 carbon inserts) My tank is halfway through its 4th week now,i set it up and waited a week until adding 6 zebra danios,waited another week then added 6 red phantom tetras another week then 2 dwarf gouramis.There are quite a few plants in the tank which are all growing nicely and the fish are all happy. I did a 20% water change end of week 3 the nitrate reads approx 0-10mg/l nitrite 0 ph 7.6 i am only using test strips so not too sure about any other readings and not too sure when i should clean my filter as if its not properly mature i dont want to kill all the good guys ;).....any advice would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Lee

WELCOME :n00b:
Don't clean it for a long time! Let the tank get established--weeks, months! I clean canister filters when the water flow is weak. Others clean more often, but I don't.

Thanks for that, i really wasnt sure what to do or how long to leave it, the flow is fine so i will leave well alone...."if it aint broke dont fix it" as someone once said :eek:)
Regards
Lee

Back
Top Bottom