New tank planning stages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
As some of you may remember, because I've been talking about it for quite some time, this winter I will be getting a new tank. I'm looking at getting a custom made 50-55 gal, because I'd like to install it in a particular place in the house and the base cannot be more that 46" x 14". The hight is a little more flexible, I guess it can be up to 20-22 inches

I want to transfer all my plants and fish to the new set up and I also will have more fish -the main reason for a bigger tank!!!!

Since I have time to plan it I want to do it right from the beginning. So In your experinced opinions:

1- What kind of gravel should I use?
2- Fish: Can I add two german Blue rams? A cannot resist them after reading the latests threads about these guys. I also would like to add one or two clown loaches (in memoria of the later "Big C") May be two more angels but I know this is a delicate subject...and last but not least two Denison Barbs.

3- Filter: I am getting a canister filter, may be a Fluval 404, or a Rena XP2, or an Eheim if I can find a good deal in a used one...

4- I will get more light, up to 2 wpg... Will I need CO2. I rather not get into that but I'm happy to evaluate it.

What else should I be thinking of at this point?

Thank you! :D :D :D

flual 404, u dont really need co2, no clown loaches, they get big. two angels should be ook. rams are questionable and dont know about dension barbs.

At minimum, pea sized gravel. At best, either Eco-Complete or the pea-sized gravel with a layer of larite (sp) clay underneath.

2- Fish: Can I add two german Blue rams? A cannot resist them after reading the latests threads about these guys. I also would like to add one or two clown loaches (in memoria of the later "Big C") May be two more angels but I know this is a delicate subject...and last but not least two Denison Barbs.

No...you cannot resist GBR's, so get them along with the other guys. I don't have any experience with the DB.

3- Filter: I am getting a canister filter, may be a Fluval 404, or a Rena XP2, or an Eheim if I can find a good deal in a used one...

From personal experience, the fluval is great. From the experience of other members, the filstar is just as good or better.

4- I will get more light, up to 2 wpg... Will I need CO2. I rather not get into that but I'm happy to evaluate it.

If you are in the 2wpg range, CO2 is not only recommended but necessary. If not, you will have some very nice algae colonies and probably nothing else.

What else should I be thinking of at this point?

Check out the sticky's in the Planted Tank forum. Loads of great info on the planted tank issue.

HTH.

Big C said:
Some fish (like loaches) are going to be happier with certain substrates. So you can decide on some fish, and then figure out what substrate is best, or decide on substrate, and figure out what fish work best.

Big C said:
2- Fish: Can I add two german Blue rams?
What I've read indicates that they are some of the pickier fish when it comes to water quality and pH. If you can meet their needs, they would be OK for your tank size. I'll leave the compatability issue for your own research or others to comment.

Big C said:
I also would like to add one or two clown loaches
One clown loach is always a bad idea. They really like having others in the tank with them. So 2-3 would be much better. But they do get big and, more importantly, they love to swim around a large bottom area. I would never stick with the inch-per-gallon rule of thumb with them, and instead go for as much "floor space" as possible. IMHO, Yo Yo's are a nice smaller alternative. They can be just as playful and can adapt to light. Again, though, you should at least consider a pair rather than a solo Yo Yo loach.

Wow! This is a lot of feed back! Thank you, guys. I really have my heart set on clown loaches and thought that I could keep them happy in a 55 gal. I guess I'll have to do without. Or would one be happy in the company of two Yo Yo?

As far as the Rams, I keep a pretty clean tank (now that I know how to do it! :oops:). The pH has been pretty steady even after adding the drift wood and all other parameters are quite good, but I only test extensively if I notice problems or if I'm introducing any changes (fish, plants, decor). I do a weekly check with strips... I know, it's not the best, but it's been working well so far even with my overstocked tank.

Does anybody have experience with Denison Barbs? I had one for a few months and then she got sick and died (bloated and "pinecony"). It is a beautiful fish with a great personality. I'd like to get two for my new tank... any opinions?

Thanks again, folks!

i have 7 denisonii (8 more on the way). i LOVE LOVE LOVE these fish. they get to be about 6" and are very active. they are sometimes referred to as redline barbs, or topedo barbs, sometimes as roseline sharks. but they are not at all agressive! i keep them with lots of smaller fish (glolights, cardinals, and white clouds), and i have never seen even a hint of agressive behavior. they are constantly in motion and school together nicely. i of course would recommend getting more, but that's only because i love them so much and they look so fantastic in a school :)

by the way, the seem to really like peas--they always steal them from my plecos!

i'm sure you'll love them!

Back
Top Bottom