New Tank Reassurance...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jameson_uk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just looking for a bit of reassurance.

I have a brand new 180L tank (which I think is 55 gallon in your money) setup with a few plants, rocks and water all plumbed in to an Eheim Classic 600. I am waiting until I get back from holiday before running a fishless cycle but wanted to check a few things...

Stocking levels. I have a fair few large rocks, when considering stocking, do I need to remove the volume of substrate and rocks from any calculations?

Getting fish in the tank.... There seems to be lots of (often conflicting) info as to how to stock after cycling the filter. I know I need to add enough fish to stop all the bacteria in the dying off but I am guessing I cannot or should not just stick 100% of the fish in on day one?

I am guessing that left to it's own devices the bacteria in the filter will eventually die back to just enough to deal with the biological load from the fish? So would I need to then potentially add fish slowly?

I would add fish slowly. Say, give it a week between adding new animals, so the bio-filter has time to adjust. Fifty-five is a nice size: you can get a good variety in there.

Back
Top Bottom