New tank Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wentzville

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Trying to avoid Cycle. How about I get my water and alot of rocks from a spring fed river. Thats where I get my fish and my rocks and plants. Its as clear as drinking water.

Not much beneficial bacteria lives in the water itself. It's mostly found in the substrate and on rocks and what not. So I don't think using the water will prevent a cycle. What you need is beneficial bacteria from a substrate or filter. It's possible rocks and stuff taken from the river would have bacteria on them but they may also have stuff you don't want so generally people boil their "found" rocks and that boiling while cleaning the rock and making it safe for the tank unfortuantely will kill all beneficial bacteria that might be present.

don't collect fish from their natural habitat, I collect alot of rocks from a river by me, never tried plants, i am sure they would be ok. The water might even work, just don't collect the fish from there, and if you already have some, may i suggest putting them back, they would be much happier.

WaterPond said:
don't collect fish from their natural habitat, I collect alot of rocks from a river by me, never tried plants, i am sure they would be ok. The water might even work, just don't collect the fish from there, and if you already have some, may i suggest putting them back, they would be much happier.
not all "aquarium fish" are breed in captivity some are taken from there natural environment...

that said, BEFORE taking fish from nature make sure you are not doing it illegally

I know some are collected, then sold it pet stores, many sates+ canada it is illegal to do this. I just don't think it is fair to the fish, i don't want to start an argument or anything, its JMHO.

Better than using them for bait. I like to fish also. It's the baitfish I keep. bluegill, pumpkinseed etc.

If you want to prevent a cycle just get used filter media and some gravel from a trusted LFS and slowly add fish. If you add slow enough you can avoid a cycle by giving the aquarium time to catch up with it's beneficial bacteria. Or if you have it locally get some bio-spira, if it's a good batch it will eliminate your cycle as well. I used the bio-spira on my 46 gallon, and used media from my 46 in my 10 and didn't have a cycle on either.

Back
Top Bottom