New to all of this, check my research...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcjones

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

Been lurking and researching here for awhile, so here is my first post. My three year old is absolutely enthralled with fish. So for Christmas I will be setting up a 29 gallon tank for him. I am a chemist by profession, so I can't help but to totally OCD on the research before I start. (Plus I have a full lab to sneak my water samples into :D) Ok this what I have so far.

A 30 inch wrought iron stand that I go from my in-laws. It was probably 20 years old, so I sanded and painted it myself to restore it. It was a nifty little project.

29 gallon glass aquarium with 30 inch florescent hood.

Things to buy / scavenge...

Filter: Marineland Penguin 200 or Marineland 280. I don't know which I want to go with yet, maybe ya'll can help me out? :confused:

Heater: Fluval 150W Heater

Air: Fusion 500 Airpump and air stone.

Vacuum: Aqueon water changer

AP Master test

Seachem Prime

Thermometer

Substrate: I am trying to decided between the Caribsea Peace River gravel or Sunset Gold sand. I would like to go with the sand because I want some cory cats, but I don't know how easy to clean it would be. Anyone used these substrates?

Silk Plants

River rock from the back yard. I plan to run these through the dishwasher with no soap. Will this be effective enough cleaning?

Stocking (after cycle ofcourse)
6 X Panda Cories
10 X Rummynose Tetra
1 X Bolivian Ram

Ok now for a cycling question. I have access to very pure ammonia at work so I want to do a fishless cycle, but every guide I have read suggest to get and old filter or substrate from an established tank. I have no access to a tank, no family or friends have one. Does the bacteria fairy just come by and bless my tank? I haven't seen this answered anywhere.

Hi and welcome to AA! You've done some great research!

For the filter, I'm not familiar with the marineland but I have an AquaClear HOB and it's great; many members here recommend the AquaClear brand filter.

I had gravel and switched to sand. I like the look of the sand much better. To clean it you just hover the gravel vac over the sand to let it swirl up and catch the debris; you might catch some sand while you're doing this but not much; might take some practice though. You'll also need to be sure you run a finger or rake or something through the sand now and then to avoid compaction.

Seeded media will help immensely to get the bacteria in the tank faster, but you don't need it. The bacteria will find its way into the tank from the air, it's just a slower process. Good luck!

:welcome: to AA! :)
tcjones said:
Hi!

Been lurking and researching here for awhile, so here is my first post. My three year old is absolutely enthralled with fish. So for Christmas I will be setting up a 29 gallon tank for him. I am a chemist by profession, so I can't help but to totally OCD on the research before I start. (Plus I have a full lab to sneak my water samples into :D) Ok this what I have so far.

A 30 inch wrought iron stand that I go from my in-laws. It was probably 20 years old, so I sanded and painted it myself to restore it. It was a nifty little project.

29 gallon glass aquarium with 30 inch florescent hood.

Things to buy / scavenge...

Filter: Marineland Penguin 200 or Marineland 280. I don't know which I want to go with yet, maybe ya'll can help me out? :confused:

Heater: Fluval 150W Heater

Air: Fusion 500 Airpump and air stone.

AP Master test

Seachem Prime

Thermometer

Substrate: I am trying to decided between the Caribsea Peace River gravel or Sunset Gold sand. I would like to go with the sand because I want some cory cats, but I don't know how easy to clean it would be. Anyone used these substrates?

Silk Plants

River rock from the back yard. I plan to run these through the dishwasher with no soap. Will this be effective enough cleaning?

Stocking (after cycle ofcourse)
6 X Panda Cories
10 X Rummynose Tetra
1 X Bolivian Ram

Ok now for a cycling question. I have access to very pure ammonia at work so I want to do a fishless cycle, but every guide I have read suggest to get and old filter or substrate from an established tank. I have no access to a tank, no family or friends have one. Does the bacteria fairy just come by and bless my tank? I haven't seen this answered anywhere.

To be honest the Marineland filters aren't very good. I have a Marineland and an AquaClear and like my AquaClear way better. JMO though.

I have personally used both sand and gravel. I like both. Sand is more easier to clean because all the junk stays on top so you can just vacuum it up. But I find it hard to not get some sand sucked in while you do this too, which gravel doesn't do. But gravel you do need to get under the substrate to clean since particulate gathers under it.

That should be good enough cleaning.

Stocking sounds solid :)

Here's a good guide:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

Good luck! :)

Thanks, looks like I will revisit my filter choice.

FYI, you can buy a loaded filter sponge from angelsplus. My tank cycled in like 10 days after I shoved one in my filter

I have been out of the hobby for a while but am also getting back into it for my kids. Mine are 2 and 4, and are also very excited about it. Ironically we are also setting up a 29 gallon, and you reminded me, I completely forgot to order a python vacuum when I was doing my online ordering! We already have 2 snakes, a hamster, and 2 cats, so they are used to mommy starting new animal projects. I think I can give you some insight on my previous experience though.
In the past when I had a few established aquariums, I could cycle a new tank very efficiently with seeded filter media from an established tank. I actually started a 29 gallon for my mother in law by taking my filter and putting it right on her tank and stocking hers immediately with about 6 small fish. I had nitrates the next day with no ammonia or nitrite spikes.

I have also decided to stick with my aquaclear hang on back filter. I almost bought a different one but found one of my old ones and will be using it this time around as well.

I always hated the air bubbles/airstones. They were more of a pain and a noise and I was never happier than when I was told they weren't needed. With a hang on back aquaclear filter you have plenty of surface turbulence to oxygenate your water.

I absolutely love sand substrate and will never go back to gravel. It is so much easier to keep clean and the fish seem to really like it.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you! I am not a chemist, lol, I am a registered nurse, but I love microbiology and chemistry. Be careful, this is an addictive hobby :)

I've just finished my cycle without seed material and it took 30 days exactly (milage may vary). The bacteria fairy will just come one night and you will know because you'll see nitrites showing up. I love the airstone in my tank, the warter ripples it makes and the led lighting gives off that shimmering light effect in the tank and the room at night. Since you have florescent lighting it's a moot point. If patience is not strong get the angelsplus filter.
P

FYI, you can buy a loaded filter sponge from angelsplus. My tank cycled in like 10 days after I shoved one in my filter

Got a link for the filter sponge? I don't know if I have the right website.

I would actually recommend the Python water changer. It's a bit more expensive but a lot more sturdy. I started with the aqueon and hated that the connector that attached to the sink was plastic, it caused a lot of leaks. The Python has a metal connector that works much better.

Ok I am totally intrigued by this active sponge. You said you just shoved it in your filter. How is the sponge packaged? Do they ship it in tank water? Did you add fish when you added the sponge? If so how many? Or did you dose the tank with ammonia? Thanks.

Can someone please post the link to the website where you can buy the loaded filter sponge? I want one also, since the manager at my local fish store that used to give me stuff is no longer there, the new manager REFUSED to give me any seeded filter media or gravel.... as much money as I spend in that store you would think they would help me out a bit. I guess I will be shopping ONLY online from now on.

Ok I am totally intrigued by this active sponge. You said you just shoved it in your filter. How is the sponge packaged? Do they ship it in tank water? Did you add fish when you added the sponge? If so how many? Or did you dose the tank with ammonia? Thanks.
It came in a plastic bag with a bit of water in the bottom. I was dosing with ammonia and was cycling for about a week before I bought the sponge since it wasn't very expensive. I cut it into a few pieces and shoved it into both my filters, and saw nitrites like 4 days later and nitrates in another 6 or so. It didn't instantly cycle the tank, but it definitely seemed to have kick started the cycle. There are several people who have started their cycle from scratch using the sponges and fully cycled in like 6 days, so it seems to work pretty well.

Can someone please post the link to the website where you can buy the loaded filter sponge? I want one also, since the manager at my local fish store that used to give me stuff is no longer there, the new manager REFUSED to give me any seeded filter media or gravel.... as much money as I spend in that store you would think they would help me out a bit. I guess I will be shopping ONLY online from now on.
Sponge Filters for aquariums

I really want to order an active filter form that site. I emailed them and they gave me that same link. However there is a description of their active sponges, but no where to add an active sponge to a cart?

I really want to order an active filter form that site. I emailed them and they gave me that same link. However there is a description of their active sponges, but no where to add an active sponge to a cart?

scroll down to the table that has the pictures of the 4 different sponges in a table. the right most column should be MAG filter. under the 4" black 20 ppi and 3" black 40 ppi sponge there is a MAG filter with the word ACTIVE in the description. put how many you want in the little white box just to the left of the entry and add to cart

scroll down to the table that has the pictures of the 4 different sponges in a table. the right most column should be MAG filter. under the 4" black 20 ppi and 3" black 40 ppi sponge there is a MAG filter with the word ACTIVE in the description. put how many you want in the little white box just to the left of the entry and add to cart
Thanks so much! not good to come home and do shopping on line after 12 hours of work :ermm: lol. I feel kind of like a dolt but thanks I appreciate your help :oops:

Back
Top Bottom