Newbie help -stocking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjt34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to this hobby and to these forums, although I am already grateful for all the useful info in the 'getting started' stickies.

I recently bought my first aquarium & equipment (unfortunately before I found these forums) and am now trying to be patient whilst it cycles (no fish yet).

The aquarium is only 23l and I now know that a smaller size can be harder to keep and so I want to get some advice on stocking.

Basically my local shop will only have 'common' fish but I want to get some opinions on suitable numbers of suitable sized fish for a beginner as I'm keen not to overstock.

Any help much appreciated!!

-TJT

23 litre aquarium
No live plants
Heater (so tropical fish please)

P.S 23l is 6 US gallons (I think).

I would be interested in shrimp or snail as well as a couple fish but not sure I can mix and if I would need live plants?

-TJT

Tetras , Research them and find your favourtite type of Tetra.

they are perfect for your size tank get about 5 - 6 of them!

You could do a betta fish with shrimp and/or a snail. You could also do a few guppies or endler's livebearers. Nano fish such as celestial pearl danios or chili rasbora may also work.

Aces11 said:
You could do a betta fish with shrimp and/or a snail. You could also do a few guppies or endler's livebearers. Nano fish such as celestial pearl danios or chili rasbora may also work.

+1 being your first tank and its small imo id go with either danios or a betta

-1 danios need room to swim, they are fast moving and should be in at least a 20 gallon long. Nano fish would be more at home or a Betta.

Ok. Having visited a few local fish shops and getting my aquarium all set up, I have the following initial thoughts as to my stock.
Can anybody suggest why any of this would not work;

1 male Betta
4-5 Celestial pearl danio
1 Amano shrimp

Remember 6 gallon tropical tank with no live plants.

Thanks for any advice!

Anybody?
Would those fish get along?

Depends on the attitude of the Betta, if you want to try that have a backup plan in case you need to rehome the Betta. The other fish will definitely be fine

Well I had to be patient but tank is finally cycled and I need to make a decision about stock. I'm thinking probably CPDs and Amano shrimp.

But do shrimp need live plants?

If they do then I might just go with single Betta instead but the LFS hasn't had any healthy looking ones recently.

Also, if I go with either of these options then it seems to me that the bio load is fairly low - how often should I be looking to rinse the filter media & what about vacuum gravel?

Thanks for help & advice!

Well I had to be patient but tank is finally cycled and I need to make a decision about stock. I'm thinking probably CPDs and Amano shrimp.

But do shrimp need live plants?

If they do then I might just go with single Betta instead but the LFS hasn't had any healthy looking ones recently.

Also, if I go with either of these options then it seems to me that the bio load is fairly low - how often should I be looking to rinse the filter media & what about vacuum gravel?

Thanks for help & advice!

I have CPDs, they are cute and fun little fish!

I would do 6-8 in that tank plus the shrimp (you can get more than one shrimp ;)). I wouldn't put anything else in there though in a tank that small. If you wanted a betta I'd do the Betta OR CPDs. CPDs can be very shy if they feel threatened too so a Betta might be too intimidating for them plus depending on the Betta they might not get along and a 6 gal would be a bit crowded for both IMO. Shrimp don't need plants. I'd put some fake ones in there though to create some hiding spots for the CPDs; they safer they feel the more you'll see them.

For maintance I'd do a 50% water change weekly as standard practice. For cleaning the filters, once or twice a month just swish the filter media out in tank water during a water change.

I have plenty of fake plants in there (i wasn't sure about live ones since it is my first tank) so I think CPDs & shrimp is the way forward.

Thanks very much for the advice everyone - I know my fish will he happier & healthier because I found these forums. Will post a pic after I get the fish - probably at the weekend.

Just 2 fish & an apple snail for now to ease in the bioload.

Attachments

• image-702486600.jpg
    image-702486600.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2002598538.jpg
    image-2002598538.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 58
  • image-2466957301.jpg
    image-2466957301.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 56
Two endlers. Yeh I started a new thread to ask how to care for snail so think I've got it covered.

Thanks for everyone's advice - fish seem happy and active (been in for 2 days now, amm & nitrites both zero).

Back
Top Bottom