Newbie needs help ASAP! 20g and cycle troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllyH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help
Part 1) Need a cycle

I recently got a 20H tank, and have everything I need except a cycle. I went to Petco and a local fish store and they both gave me bacteria starters and said that's all I needed, but I know I need ammonia to feed the bacteria. My mom wants me to go with the bacteria starters but I know it's a waste of time. Can you help me convince her that ammonia is what I need? She thinks that if it were a viable option, it would be sold at fish stores and the old- timers would be aware of it by now

Part 2) Stocking?

I know that Guppies, Ghost Shrimp, Tetra, African dwarf frogs and a Bristlenose Pleco for alge seem compatible and a good option for me. I want something fun but semi-hardy (I am a newbie after all) and these options seem all right. What do you guys suggest I could stock it with that would fit my needs. I'm open to suggestions but I have my heart set on guppies and shrimp.

Additional info)
Hydor 100W adjustable submersible heater
4 1/2 inch sponge filter for 20-40 gallons (w/ air pump and rest of setup)
Sand substrate
Normal lights
I've been getting all of my info until now from Tumblr (The fish community is huge!) and my mom doesn't trust the people on there giving me advice
My tank is currently full of conditioned water with sand and filter up and running. My heater is coming tomorrow.

Please help, I want what's best for my future fish!
:fish2: Thanks!

Well, the bacteria starters are hit or miss. If you live in a region that is cold this time of year, the bacteria in that bottle is likely dead. If they are tetra safestart, return them. Tetra uses the wrong bacteria entirely, for some reason. The safest way to start an aquarium, by far, is via the drip ammonia method, which can take months. Aquarium ammonia can be found here.
If you're forced to go the bottled bacteria route, don't worry overmuch. Get a couple of the most hardy fish that you want in your aquarium, grab one of these, and pour that bacteria into your tank. If you know someone (that you trust!) with an established, healthy tank, see if they'll cut off a chunk of their filter sponge, or give you some of their bio media. Stuff that into your filter somewhere. Now, test the water every day. Twice a day if you can, and if any of your levels get too high, do a 50% water change. Keep treated, heated (if possible) water on hand for emergency changes. Keep on top of that until you're showing 0 ammonia and nitrites, and voila! You now have a cycled tank and you're ready to add more fish. This way is a lot more work, and can leave you with dead fish, but I personally made it through a fish in cycle recently with no losses, so it can be done.

Re your point that generally LFSs don't stock ammonia.
Firstly, it would kill any fish in the tank so can only be used in a fishless cycle.
Secondly, and somewhat cynically, some LFSs would prefer you to do fish IN cycling. Any fish losses would be more trade for them.
Try to convince your Mum that fishless cycling with ammonia and using a good liquid test kit (API is my preference) is the best, safest and cheapest way forward. You will also learn and appreciate more about the nitrogen cycle for when you start stocking.
I use Kleen Off Ammonia as an ammonia source. One bottle will last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for responding! Somebody on fishlore told me to use an entire bottle of safe start because it was their favorite. Who to believe?

The problem with bacteria starters is they deteriorate with age and particularly if stored for a prolonged time in very cold conditions. As most shop stock is stored in unseated stick room prior to shop display it could be that the bacteria is not as good as claimed. Many people have been lucky, bought a good bacteria and had great success. More people than not, on here, seem to have failures with such products. If I was starting from scratch then I would be tempted to get a starter and then feed the tank with ammonia as per fish less cycling. Any bacteria added will need feeding. I am of the opinion that using 'hardy' fish as an ammonia source is hit and miss and risks harming the fish. And of course, those hardy fish may not be what you wanted to stock your tank with anyway.

Re your point that generally LFSs don't stock ammonia.
Firstly, it would kill any fish in the tank so can only be used in a fishless cycle.
Secondly, and somewhat cynically, some LFSs would prefer you to do fish IN cycling. Any fish losses would be more trade for them.
Try to convince your Mum that fishless cycling with ammonia and using a good liquid test kit (API is my preference) is the best, safest and cheapest way forward. You will also learn and appreciate more about the nitrogen cycle for when you start stocking.
I use Kleen Off Ammonia as an ammonia source. One bottle will last forever.

+1 There is money to be made in fish stores selling fish. The more you kill, the more they sell you, and the more money they make. Also, the LFS employees aren't usually the best sources of information tbh. Especially not the employees that work at big box stores.

Aquarists old timers are well aware of ammonia working to cycle. In fact, in the old days of aquaria people used to urinate in tanks to get their cycle going. Nowadays we just use ammonia as it's the easiest and by far most controllable way to cycle a tank nowadays. It's also potentially quicker than a fish in cycle. Another thing you can use in leiu of pure ammonia is a cocktail shrimp in a mesh bag. It will decompose releasing ammonia and the bag lets you remove the shrimp when the cycle is done.

Have your mom read this guide.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Back
Top Bottom