Newbie needs some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gaz77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi
I have had my tank running for a week now and added a few fish on weds x2 pearl gourami 3x balloon Molly's 1x redtail shark.
My questions are
1, rts seams to be a bit shy he hides in the plant is that normal because when I first put him in there .their where two of them and they swam around ,but a couple of forum member told me I shouldn't have two together so I returned on and swooped it for the Molly's.
2 ,should I vary the food ? I have 1mm sinking pellets ( spectrum) which the Molly's eat and the gourami try to eat they only have small mouths .
3 ,I want to add just a couple more fish can I do it today .the fish in my tank seem happy !
Thank you.

do you have a test kit? your tank is not cycled. the ammonia and nitrite levels are going to get dangerously high. you will need to test them daily and do water changes when needed. look at the link i posted in your other thread

do you have a test kit? your tank is not cycled. the ammonia and nitrite levels are going to get dangerously high. you will need to test them daily and do water changes when needed. look at the link i posted in your other thread
Thank you I am testing it daily the ammonia was 0.25 today so I have done 10% water change?can you tell me do you feed them once or twice a day if have read on different web sites different things so not sure if I am over feeding I have been giving them a pinch twice a day!!!!

The angle of the fishes mouth tells you where they eat from. If it points up they eat off of the top. Try using some tropical flake mix also and maybe multi tab of assorted frozen food for freshwater fish. Try them on different things, see what they like. I would feed less until the system settles then carry on as you are. Make notes on your tests and changes, a little pad or diary. This will help you in about two weeks from now.

Last edited:
The angle of the fishes mouth tells you where they eat from. If it points up they eat off of the top. Try using some tropical flake mix also and maybe multi tab of assorted frozen food for freshwater fish. Try them on different things, see what they like. I would feed less until the system settles then carry on as you are. Make notes on your tests and changes, a little pad or diary. This will help you in about two weeks from now.
thank you I checked my water yesterday and it's where it should be but I have noticed some of my fish have white spot .i have turned up my temp on heater and started treating them with esha exit.not sure if I am doing right thing just going on what people have suggested .it say treat for 3 days ,is that it?they are cured !

The short answer is no.
White spot is a very complex parasite with a few stages in its life cycle. The raising of the temperature does speed up the process. Here in the uk malachite green, accriflavin and quinine sulphate are the ingredients. Other countries may use different names for pharmaceuticals. The life cycle basically is, the white spots burst and are "free swimming" these attach to the inside of your aquarium and become cysts. Each cyst bursts and releases 1000+ infective stages! these are also "free swimming" each one must find a fish within 48 hrs or it will die. The process starts again. Most white spot treatments can only attack the "free swimming" stages.
This makes it difficult to erradicate.
An empty tank at 20C' for 7 days will be the best bet. Leave all filters etc in place. If you can set up a quarantine tank using equipment that is NOT part of this system move the fish and treat separately. Remove carbon when treating for white spot.
If you want online research ichthyophthirius multifiliis (freshwater white spot) and ciliate protozoan. This will yield some pictures that better explain the life cycle. One final note, each burst spot opens up the way for bacterial infection. I'm sorry that is the answer from hell, be careful with the treatment as it very powerful stuff, follow instructions to the letter.

Just clocked it you're English. A quarantine tank doesn't necessarily have to be a glass tank from a shop. Those big plastic storage containers work. A new washing bowl for the kitchen sink is ok for small fish. All you'll need is a heater and a mini filter like a fluval1+ or similar. Any plastic food grade tub from a kitchen shop will do.

Back
Top Bottom