Newbie with 3 gallon tank - which fish to buy ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trailite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all
Although I used to keep Fancy Goldfish 25 years ago when I was a boy, since then I have not been involved in fish keeping.
I have spent the last 2 months doing research on the net about how I need to start and this is where I`m up to.
I started the fishless cycle about 3 weeks ago using ammonia. The ammonia is all but gone each morning when I do a test and I top it up to 3 or 4 ppm. Nitrite reading is currently off the charts.
As far as I know the cycle is going as it should and I just need to continue as I am eventually finishing off with a big water change to get rid of the Nitrates.
The 3 Gallon tank actually belongs to my 13 year old twin daughters. Had I been buying one I would have gone for something bigger.
When the tank is cycled my girls say that they would like to stock the tank with `White cloud mountain minnows`.
From what I can tell from reading up on the `Net`, this seams to be a good choice for a first fish.
The tank will have some artificial plants for cover.
I would like some advice on how many fish they could keep in the tank.
I think that 4 will be the max but any advice or suggestions re this or more appropriate alternatives would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Well everything sounds good and your on the right track. 3-4 white clouds sounds about right for fish. I take it there is no heater? Whats the temp of the tank? You may be able to squeeze some ghost shrimp in there also if interested(for more things to look at).

Thanks for the reply. Yes there is a heater in the tank....25w, it is currently set at about 75 whilst it is cycling but that will go down to 67/68 ( assuming white clouds go in).

Well if you have a heater then you have more fish options.
Like 1 betta which some people llike(I personally like more fish).
Or a couple smaller fish, like tetras, or corries, or guppies(get male only so they dont breed but are colorful).

With either one you may have a couple shrimp also. Just depends what you want.

You've already done your homework and seem to know what you want so if they want white clouds, then thats good also, you prob dont need a heater with them as long as the temp in the house is somewhat stable.

For your cycle to speed up get your temp up above 80 F. I bumped my temp up like that and it was done the cycle in a week. Took a total of 5 weeks of adding pure ammonia dosed to 4ppm every day. Hope this helps speed your cycle up.

Back
Top Bottom