Newby stocking 75 gal aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afdaddy1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok so I need some help with my fish selection here. I want to have an electric blue jack dempsey as my main fish. Im lookin for a colorful community tank so i was think about these:

1 electic blue jack dempsey
2 electric yellow cichild
5 red dwarf gourami
1 rainbow shark
1 reticulated hillstream loach

I am open to suggestions please give me your input. I would really like to get 1 more school of fish in there.

afdaddy1 said:
ok so I need some help with my fish selection here. I want to have an electric blue jack dempsey as my main fish. Im lookin for a colorful community tank so i was think about these:

1 electic blue jack dempsey
2 electric yellow cichild
5 red dwarf gourami
1 rainbow shark
1 reticulated hillstream loach

I am open to suggestions please give me your input. I would really like to get 1 more school of fish in there.

That will absolutely not work
You can have a jack Dempsey pair with some other fish, a community tank( but not five gourami, only one), or a African Cichlid tank
Your choice
I reccomend a community for your first go
Make sure to cycle the tank and invest in proper equipment!

emerald76 said:
That will absolutely not work
You can have a jack Dempsey pair with some other fish, a community tank( but not five gourami, only one), or a African Cichlid tank
Your choice
I reccomend a community for your first go
Make sure to cycle the tank and invest in proper equipment!

I agree the fish you picked aren't compatibly.

Thanks can you give me some tank mates for the jack dempsey

I don't know how much luck you would have with a community tank with a Jack Dempsey. If you are really serious about it you should really try and get a female and then be prepared to removed the other tank mates if things fly to pieces.

A 75 gal is pushing the limit but you could keep a pair of Jacks in there well enough.

I think the success of a community tank with a jack(or 2) would be best with a bigger tank. You could try other cichilids, I've heard success with people keeping an Oscar, and even large gourmi with Jacks but again, hit or miss and the bigger the tank the higher your success rate. Seems like Jacks can have big personalities and it varies fish to fish so much. Where 1 Jack can start in a community tank and do well it's whole life another would destroy the exact tank. I've heard that regularly rearranging your tank can help keep aggression down too because it doesn't give a chance to form a solid territory, I'm not sure the success of it but it may be something to look into.

If you can pull it off it would be a neat tank for sure. I'd just be prepared for the option of ending up with 1 lone jack in the tank or perhaps a pair and give my other fish a fighting chance and keep them in the same aggression level. Def have a back up plan if it doesn't work.

My jack Dempsey is in a south/central America setup also with new world cichlid. My jack Dempsey gets along with them great but he kills community fish in a minute so they all are different.

I have a blue Dempsey, pearl gourami, two strawberry barbs, three danios, blue crayfish and algae eater. They seem to be all right in a twenty gallon tank though I know I only have a year or so before something will have to go or get a bigger tank.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Electrics aren't as aggressive and he is pairing up with the gourami pretty well. The crayfish has everyone on guard so they don't really go after each other.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom