Nitrates really didnt drop after 90% WC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 10 gal tank just completed cycling this past week. I have been dosing it with ammonia daily. The nitrates were 160ppm+ and after the large WC they dropped only to 80ppm-160ppm. Should I wait a few days to do another change or would it be okay to do another large WC? Should I do another 90% or 50%? Was afraid of over cleaning. Thanks!

I'd test again, then test your tap water, then test some distilled water. That should determine whether it's testing error, nitrates in tap water, or some seriously ridiculous nitrates.

Thank you for that suggestion. I just checked the tap and it said 10ppm-20ppm. The colors on them are so close that it is hard to tell the difference. I don't have any distilled on hand. What is so weird about the tap having nitrates is when I was cycling the tank I didn't pick up nitrates for a long time. You would think if they are in the tap I would have picked up something. Is that a bad level to have in tap? Will I have to do anything special during water changes?

I'd test some distilled water before concluding that your tap has nitrate that high in it. Even if you did have 10-20ppm in your tap water, that wouldn't cause your tank to have 80-160ppm after a 90% PWC unless they were ungodly high before.

They may have been insanely high. When I would test prior to wc the levels were always darker the the 160ppm but instead of guessing I put 160ppm. Yesterday was the first time I had done a WC and it took me 4-6 weeks to cycle. Would it hurt to do another WC and see if they drop? I just didn't want to over do it and throw all the precious bacteria out of whack and have to start over.

Keep dosing your amm daily until you are ready for fish. The day you are picking them up skip the amm. You will then need to do big water changes down to the gravel to get the nitrates under control (less than 20ppm). It took me 3 wcs down to the gravel to get my nitrates under control!! It wont affect your bb as long as you use water conditioner & match the temperature. Congrats!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom