Nitrite spike not responding to water changes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audreydee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I'm new to fish keeping so any advice is appreciated.

Tank:
Love Fish Betta Duo 20 Litre Aquarium-- filtered and heated
Animals: 1 crowntail betta, 1 nerite snail
Plants: 1 plant of unknown species and 1 moss ball

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 2.0+ ppm
Nitrate 40-80 ppm

PH: Unknown, don't have the testing drops

My tank had been fishless cycling for about 5 weeks, and looked like it was complete when I started getting nitrate readings and low ammonia and nitrite. About a week ago I got a lovely crowntail and he's been happy, although a bit picky with his food.

Two days ago I saw a HUGE nitrite spike using the API liquid test kit, and the nitrates jumped as well. One of the plants in the tank looked a bit unhappy, so I completely removed it. Immediately did a 30% water change, and I've been changing 20% daily (about) since.

The water changes don't seem to be making a difference to the nitrite/nitrate readings and I'm worried for my little guy! I've been using API Stress Coat to make the tap water safe, so I'm hoping that's reducing the harm of the toxins in the water.

Any suggestions? Should I be changing more water? I don't want to remove too much and accidentally stall my cycle!

THANK YOU!

How did you cycle it? Did you use ammonia, or bacteria in a bottle? Before adding fish you need to make sure your ammonia and nitrites are at a 0.

Cycled with shrimp. I think they were at zero; I have a really hard time telling small colour differences! Definitely had nitrates.

I don't have a second tank unfortunately; this is my first one!

I had thought I was familiar with cycling, but it sounds like I didn't leave it long enough! Any suggestions of damage control to keep my friends going without crashing my cycle by removing too much water?

Again, right now I'm doing 20% water changes daily, including vacuuming up the gravel. Don't want to push it too hard and remove all my bacteria!

Keep doing those water changes and DONT vacuum the gravel just use it to get the uneaten food. Beneficial bacteria can be in the gravel and you'll just be slowing down your cycle. When you're cleaning your cycled tank only vacuum 1/3 of your substrate each week so it doesn't crash.

Back
Top Bottom