Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
My nitrites are finally showing up. They are at a level of 300ppm. My tetra strip app recommends a pwc...oh course. I have a 20 gallon. Do I need to do a 50? I am not sure how pwc affects nitrites as far as level.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well 1st, I'd get a liquid master test kit. Those paper strips tend to give false readings. 2nd a 50% wc will drop it halfway to 150ppm according to your strips. So on and so on with each additional wc.

Well 1st, I'd get a liquid master test kit. Those paper strips tend to give false readings. 2nd a 50% wc will drop it halfway to 150ppm according to your strips. So on and so on with each additional wc.

I can't afford the liquid. But I trust tetra strips. Should I do another 50 after the one I just did?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't afford the liquid. But I trust tetra strips. Should I do another 50 after the one I just did?

If you can't afford a liquid kit do you have a local store that can do a water test for you? Then you could compare it to what you get with the strips. Personally I have never used a test strip so really can't say anything on their accuracy other than it seems as most don't find them as accurate as a liquid test.

If you can't afford a liquid kit do you have a local store that can do a water test for you? Then you could compare it to what you get with the strips. Personally I have never used a test strip so really can't say anything on their accuracy other than it seems as most don't find them as accurate as a liquid test.

The store uses the same.

Another store maybe , I have never seen a store in my area use test strips , always liquid around here.
Just thought it was way to make a comparison between the two tests.

Hmm. I have no other local store. :/

$21 http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI

They last a very very long time. If you test everything every single week then it will last you a year. Im guessing that over time the test strips are going to be more expensive.

Without any other way to test water parameters you are just going to have to trust the test strips. Do you have fish in the tank or is this fishless?

$21 http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI

They last a very very long time. If you test everything every single week then it will last you a year. Im guessing that over time the test strips are going to be more expensive.

Without any other way to test water parameters you are just going to have to trust the test strips. Do you have fish in the tank or is this fishless?

Fish in cycling. Maybe in a few months I can get a kit. I would have to do shipping. I am on disability, so I used all my Christmas money from family on equipmentand maintenance products.

If your nitrate level is 300ish then you definitely need to do some water changes.

Each 50% change will decrease the nitrates by 50% assuming theres 0 nitrates in your tap.

So:
First 50% change - 150ppm
Second 50% change - 75ppm
Etc.

You really want to shoot for below 40ppm of nitrates for optimal health.

If your nitrate level is 300ish then you definitely need to do some water changes.

Each 50% change will decrease the nitrates by 50% assuming theres 0 nitrates in your tap.

So:
Etc.

Thanks.

So:
Etc.

watch your fish for signs of stress, though. Improving the water quality is important but it is still a change in conditions that can shock them if done too quickly

watch your fish for signs of stress, though. Improving the water quality is important but it is still a change in conditions that can shock them if done too quickly

I think my endler is really stressed cause it is losing all of its color. I did a other 50% today. So I may hold off tomorrow.

That's a lot of nitrates...how long has this tank been setup with fish? What & how many fish? What has your water change schedule looked like through that duration?

Unless you're really overstocked or you've not done any waters changes for an extended length of time, your nitrates shouldn't be so high. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? If there's anything present in your tap water, water changes with it will only increase your level of nitrates... Just a thought.

There's no sense in keeping the tank if you can't provide a comfortable environment for the fish to live. What's cheaper? $21 test kit or restocking the tank every few weeks. Either way performing a few wc's to get levels down than maintaining a weekly 50%wc should keep things copesthetic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a lot of nitrates...how long has this tank been setup with fish? What & how many fish? What has your water change schedule looked like through that duration?

Unless you're really overstocked or you've not done any waters changes for an extended length of time, your nitrates shouldn't be so high. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? If there's anything present in your tap water, water changes with it will only increase your level of nitrates... Just a thought.

My tap is free of all of that. I have done a wc every 1-3 days for the past 22 days for ammonia levels. I was just testing my ammonia thinking it would be even longer for nitrites to come about. Then my endler (1 endler, 1 corycat, 1 albino snail) was losing its color. So I checked my tank and I suddenly had nitrites. So I have done a water change of 50%, each day since I have checked. And checked water every day as well.

There's no sense in keeping the tank if you can't provide a comfortable environment for the fish to live. What's cheaper? $21 test kit or restocking the tank every few weeks. Either way performing a few wc's to get levels down than maintaining a weekly 50%wc should keep things copesthetic.

I have had these creatures for about 1.5 years. They survived thru my deep depression where I let 5 gallons evaporate and algae infest the tank for over 6 months. I had to do a full empty and clean to get algae infested, decaying food infested sand out. And remove the stuck algae. So I am starting new. They will pull thru and I am doing everything I can to make the water best for them and reduce stress during this new cycle. I am on disability and this month used a lot of it on new equipment, substrate, maintenance products, etc. and bills. So right now I could afford the $10 strips. But not the $21 liquid test strips. I want my fish to have a safe and healthy home, a stable home. They have been through a lot and deserve a nice environment. I am not getting rid of the tank. Or the fish. I have done 50% water changes every 1-3 days for 3 weeks for ammonia. Then one every day for 3 days for nitrites. I got this.

You do got this! I understand. Life gets hard and we fall down. But you're getting back up, dusting yourself off, and putting the pieces back together. Good for you! ?

As for the API liquid test kit, they're not strips. It comes with little vials and several chemicals that you use (per instructions included) to actually test the water yourself. It works out much cheaper than the strips, and is supposedly more accurate if done correctly. In my own personal experience, the tetra test strips are usually pretty accurate. I used both for awhile and never had different results. For me, the difference is simply the price so I would recommend the API master test kit once you're able to get it.

As for the tank itself, you're doing what I would do (but I'm pretty new to the hobby still). Just keep watching those parameters and doing what you need to do. Once you get your tank back in order and develop a routine maintenance schedule, you and your fish will have some breathing room to actually enjoy life again!

I wish you the best of luck, not just with your tank, but also with your daily struggles. Keep your head high! Know you're AMAZING! ??

Cool cool, you got this! They're n proven studies out there linking aquariums in aiding in depression! I believe it, mine make me extremely happy. Keep it up, that tank will look great soon enough;)

Cool cool, you got this! They're n proven studies out there linking aquariums in aiding in depression! I believe it, mine make me extremely happy. Keep it up, that tank will look great soon enough;)

I had back surgery so during the 6 months my brother and I had switched rooms so I could get in and out of bed. Well my dad did the feeding cause I was never in there. So I really let it go. So my depression got worse. I believe after this new cycle having moved my tank to my new room, my depression has gotten better. I love watching my bubble wall (more for me than for the fish lol). But it makes me sad seeing my fish stressed. Endlers are my FAVORITE! I lost 3 of my four in 6 months. But this one has hung in there through thick and thin. Very hardy fish. I don't wanna lose it. Today it has its color again.

Back
Top Bottom