Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You do got this! I understand. Life gets hard and we fall down. But you're getting back up, dusting yourself off, and putting the pieces back together. Good for you! ?

As for the API liquid test kit, they're not strips. It comes with little vials and several chemicals that you use (per instructions included) to actually test the water yourself. It works out much cheaper than the strips, and is supposedly more accurate if done correctly. In my own personal experience, the tetra test strips are usually pretty accurate. I used both for awhile and never had different results. For me, the difference is simply the price so I would recommend the API master test kit once you're able to get it.

As for the tank itself, you're doing what I would do (but I'm pretty new to the hobby still). Just keep watching those parameters and doing what you need to do. Once you get your tank back in order and develop a routine maintenance schedule, you and your fish will have some breathing room to actually enjoy life again!

I wish you the best of luck, not just with your tank, but also with your daily struggles. Keep your head high! Know you're AMAZING! ??
I will probably get one sometime in the next couple of months. I have a lot of bills to pay so I am not sure exactly how much money I'll have. If between shipping and all it comes close to the $40 at the fish store, I'll just get it there. I have fun doing water changes. So I'll get in a routine definitely after the cycle. I write down everything I do on a calendar.
Thank you! I meant liquid kit lol.

$21 http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI

They last a very very long time. If you test everything every single week then it will last you a year. Im guessing that over time the test strips are going to be more expensive.

Without any other way to test water parameters you are just going to have to trust the test strips. Do you have fish in the tank or is this fishless?
With shipping and tax it is $31. My lfs had the kit for $35. I'll get points there. Thanks for the link! I'll spare a couple of dollars soon for my points to get money off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As for the API liquid test kit, they're not strips. It comes with little vials and several chemicals that you use (per instructions included) to actually test the water yourself. It works out much cheaper than the strips, and is supposedly more accurate if done correctly. In my own personal experience, the tetra test strips are usually pretty accurate. I used both for awhile and never had different results. For me, the difference is simply the price so I would recommend the API master test kit once you're able to get it.

??

That's interesting on tetra test strips - did you test on high ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. And ph. Just wondering as have seen them in shop and have been comparing pool test strips / solution tests to aquarium test kits / strips.

For the OP I see you have a lot of experienced hands here helping out so simply going to wish you the best for your tanks. I think you are well advanced.

They were what I bought when I first started per the petco crew--before I learned anything. They're the reason I learned anything at all, especially about the nitrogen cycle. Since I've had the API master kit, I haven't had any ammonia or nitrites. I used bb loaded filter media and eco comp to start my 55, so it instantly cycled. But the tetra strips always show the same exact readings (or extremely close to) as the API master kit. Maybe I'm just lucky and got a really good quality tube? Lol

They were what I bought when I first started per the petco crew--before I learned anything. They're the reason I learned anything at all, especially about the nitrogen cycle. Since I've had the API master kit, I haven't had any ammonia or nitrites. I used bb loaded filter media and eco comp to start my 55, so it instantly cycled. But the tetra strips always show the same exact readings (or extremely close to) as the API master kit. Maybe I'm just lucky and got a really good quality tube? Lol

Tetra is the bomb. Lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom