Noob here made a mistake, hoping you guys/gals can help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lleversmann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok first off i bought the 10g starter kit, came with the tank,heater,filter and the chemicals. I bought an accessory and 2 large fake plants and 2 small fake plants. The lady at petsmart said that i could take it home and run it with the chemicals for 24 hours then i would be ready to buy and put my fish in the tank. So i washed everything out (with only water) that includes the tank the accessory the plants filter heater everything. I added the water primed my filter and added the chemicals. Stupid me didnt get any kind of test strips or testing system,It ran for about 28 hours, then i went back to petsmart and bought 2 male Dalmatian mollys. I placed them in my tank (still in the bag they came in from petsmart) let them adjust to my water temperature and then released them into my tank. Now they are just swimming at the top (right at the water line) beside my heater. Am i killing my fish? PLEASE help

Your best bet is to return your fish and do a fish-less cycle. Let me find the link on "nitrogen cycle for dummies"...

Swimming at the top can be a sign of low oxygen, an air pump and bubble wand can help that. Since they are new to the tank they may also be acclimating to your tank.

What chemicals did you add? Unfortunately, no chemical can make your tank ready for fish overnight, at least that I know of.

I would, if you can, return the fish and do a fishless cycle. There is a sticky in this forum explaining it. While your tank "cycles", certain chemicals (ammonia and nitrite) can build up to toxic levels quickly and harm/kill your fish. A tank needs to cycle so it can manage these toxic chemicals before they build up to harm the fish. If you must keep the fish, frequent water changes are needed to keep the fish alive. You need a good test kit as well to monitor the water, the master test kit from API is awesome.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium

hi there. welcome tot he forum.

First thing I would do is a partial water change right away. Do you have water conditioner/dechlorinator? Make sure you use that according to the directions on the bottle.

second thing is you need a test kit since you must cycle your tank with fish. The API freshwater master kit is the best obe to get it has everything you will need and is usually less than $30.

You got bum information at the pet store, you cant just add fish right after filling a tank. there are some esxcellent articles on this website about cycling with fish. i really suggest you give them a read so you know what youre in for.

Good luck

I have to keep the fish, so i guess tomorrow morning i will be going and getting that kit.
I havethe conditioner for sure, but not 100% sure on the dechlorinator.
I bought Stress coat and Stress zyme and i think i got just another water conditioner i got some Aquasafe.

Aquasafe will work I believe. Just get on that water change and they should be fine til you can get that kit tomorrow. Then we can see where your tank stands.
:)

ok, now to keep from further harming my poor mollys, how would i do the pwc. Ive read all the posts in the mistakes newbs make thread and all of them say to never cycle with fish. Now that im forced into that situation is there a certain way to i would go about doing a pwc?
And how do i do a pwc?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but i dont want to further harm my mollys.

carey said:
Aquasafe will work I believe. Just get on that water change and they should be fine til you can get that kit tomorrow. Then we can see where your tank stands.
:)

+1

To do a pwc you will need to get a siphon from the pet store. There are some fancy ones, but in my experience the simple ones work better. Have a bucket on the floor, submerge the large end in your tank and suck on the tube to get the water going. The water will then drain into the bucket. You can also use the siphon to vacuum your gravel, but since bacteria grow in the gravel I wouldn't do this until your cycle is complete. Then add water back into the tank. Make sure you add water conditioner before you put the water in the tank and try to get the temperature as close to the tank water temp as possible. (In my experience sticking your finger in the water works just fine for this) With a fish in cycle you will be doing a lot of water changes, good luck :)

Lleversmann said:
ok, now to keep from further harming my poor mollys, how would i do the pwc. Ive read all the posts in the mistakes newbs make thread and all of them say to never cycle with fish. Now that im forced into that situation is there a certain way to i would go about doing a pwc?
And how do i do a pwc?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but i dont want to further harm my mollys.

I use a bucket for my ten gallon. Take out the water you need, match the temp as best you can with your hands, add the dechlorinator, poor in the water.

Ok I've taken half the water out and dumped it. Now I have the replacement water sitting here with the aquasafe. How long do I let it sit?

I don't wait, as long as you added the dechlorinator, you're good to go.

The stress coat that you have is also a good water conditioner. It's what I use. I also cycled with fish, you definitely need a liquid test kit and a back brace for all the bucket carrying you will be doing during your water changes for the next month or so. It took my tank a little over 3 weeks to cycle and I never lost a fish thanks to the great advice and resources on these forums.

Thank you everyone for the help, I am not as lucky as you Emclenaghan, I lost one of my Mollys lastnight. I was so sad. But going to get the test kit and something to get more oxygen into my tank. Another question though. Will one Dalmation molly be ok? or am i going to need to get another for him?

Another question, Is there anything that would speed up the process? Im using fake plants at the moment should i invest in living plants? If so what would be best for my starter 10g tank?

If I were you, I would take the remaining fish back to the LFS when you go get your test kit. You then could finish cycling without fish, easily and without any drama or sadness.

Time, patience and there is a page on here written by 7Enigma . That gives tips and tricks for a fishless cycle. I just finished mine in my 55 gallon and it took exactly 21 days, even with a couple of boo boos. No fish died, I only did 3 PWCs and didn't even have any seed material from an established tank. I will help you if you want.

I would love some help, I dont want to mess this up. Is ther eanyway you could link that page on this thread? and Thank you so much for the help.

Back
Top Bottom