Panda cories and PH level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering, can panda cories tolerate higher ranged Ph levels? 7.5+? I couldn't get a straightforward answer anywhere. Some say they only like soft water, some say they do fine in alkaline water.
I'm asking because I plan to get some in the future, my tap water alone is 7.6; my tank water tends to be 7.7. They sell them at my local Petco but none of the workers could answer my question, which is weird. ><

Most fish can adapt to a wide range of pH levels. Ask your Petco, or any other LFS what the pH is of there tanks. If there is a large difference between theirs and yours, then you'll just need to acclimate them more gradually to your water when you bring them home.

My house and a nearby Petco get our water from the same source. The pH out of the tap is 8.2, and they have healthy looking Cories for sale.

Thanks guys! Ill just have to ask them about their water.
@Librarygirl- it took me a lot of will not to get them right then and there! They're soo tiny and cute, every time it swam my sister said "it's flying!" Haha.

Also, would they be fine in a group of 3?

I have a small shoal of panda corys and imho they always look like they are surprised :lol:

I would go with at least 4 more is better

One thing about Pandas, for long term health you should know they prefer cooler temps than most "tropical" fish. I like to keep Cories in large groups whenever possible. If you have room 6 or more is better to see more interesting behaviors.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_corydoras Click Aquarium maintenance.

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/corydoras_panda.htm

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=267

I have a 10g and I plan to stock other fishes (2platy, 4neons) so I don't think 6 is possible. Ill go 4 though, if that's the exact minimum.

Hello Fishing...

I keep several species of Corydoras, including Pandas in larger tanks and I can tell you there are a lot of "wives' tales" out there about the "Little Cats". They'll do fine in higher pH water. My tank water is 7.6. Eggs are produced regularly, but you have to be quick to salvage any. I stopped trying years ago.

They're very tolerant of slightly "Brackish" water. I keep Corys with my "Livebearers" and the Livebearers prefer a trace of standard aquarium salt in the tank water. The Corys are fine with a teaspoon or so in every 5 gallons of new water.

Multiple species and sizes in the same tank do fine. The Pandas prefer larger numbers of their own kind, say six or more, but will group with the others their size like "Orange Saddles".

Do large, frequent water changes if you want your Corys or any of your fish and plants to stay healthy. I change out half the water in my tanks every week or so. No slacking!

Corydoras aren't schooling fish, they are shoaling fish. There's a distinct difference. Schooling fish stay in close groups for protection and when one moves, the others mimic the move, like Tetras. Corys will stay together in a very loose group when they forage for food, but their movements are individual.

B

Hello Fishing...

I keep several species of Corydoras, including Pandas in larger tanks and I can tell you there are a lot of "wives' tales" out there about the "Little Cats". They'll do fine in higher pH water. My tank water is 7.6. Eggs are produced regularly, but you have to be quick to salvage any. I stopped trying years ago.

They're very tolerant of slightly "Brackish" water. I keep Corys with my "Livebearers" and the Livebearers prefer a trace of standard aquarium salt in the tank water. The Corys are fine with a teaspoon or so in every 5 gallons of new water.

Multiple species and sizes in the same tank do fine. The Pandas prefer larger numbers of their own kind, say six or more, but will group with the others their size like "Orange Saddles".

Do large, frequent water changes if you want your Corys or any of your fish and plants to stay healthy. I change out half the water in my tanks every week or so. No slacking!

Corydoras aren't schooling fish, they are shoaling fish. There's a distinct difference. Schooling fish stay in close groups for protection and when one moves, the others mimic the move, like Tetras. Corys will stay together in a very loose group when they forage for food, but their movements are individual.

B

Have you ever had trouble cleaning the gravel while they're in the tanks? I'm afraid I might get them while cleaning the gravel since that's where they stay.
Edit: and how tolerant are they regarding temperature? :)

Hello again Fishing...

I don't vacuum my Cory tanks. The fish love to root through the old pieces of plants and small pieces of driftwood looking for a leftover from the last feeding. Planted tanks shouldn't be vacuumed.

The small pieces of plant and animal material dissolve in the tank water and nourish the plants. This way, you never need much in the way of other fertilizers and the extra nutrients are removed through the weekly water change. The tank water should always be very clean. Clean tank water keeps the sensitive barbels (whiskers) on the Corys from bacterial infections that sometimes cause health problems with these fish.

Corys are tolerant of a pretty wide temperature range. My tanks are at 74 degrees in the winter and up to 80 degrees in the summer.

Hello again Fishing...

I don't vacuum my Cory tanks. The fish love to root through the old pieces of plants and small pieces of driftwood looking for a leftover from the last feeding. Planted tanks shouldn't be vacuumed.

The small pieces of plant and animal material dissolve in the tank water and nourish the plants. This way, you never need much in the way of other fertilizers and the extra nutrients are removed through the weekly water change. The tank water should always be very clean. Clean tank water keeps the sensitive barbels (whiskers) on the Corys from bacterial infections that sometimes cause health problems with these fish.

Corys are tolerant of a pretty wide temperature range. My tanks are at 74 degrees in the winter and up to 80 degrees in the summer.

I don't have live plants in my tank, but I do plan to add them. Would they uproot plants badly? Haha
Thanks! I asked because their tank mates I was thinking of are tropical fish, and I don't want the temperature to affect them!

Hello Fishing...

I have planted tanks, but most of the plants I keep don't need to be planted in the substrate. I keep varieties of Anubias, Java fern, Cryptocoryne, Singapore moss, Anacharis and Pennywort. The Anacharis and Pennywort can be floated and the others simply attached to driftwood or lava rock with sewing thread or a rubber band and set on top of the substrate. The roots attach to the wood or rock and eventually into the substrate. The Corys have never damaged any of these plants.

The aquarium plants I keep will tolerate water temps between 70 degrees to 82 and even a bit higher.

B

Hello Fishing...

I have planted tanks, but most of the plants I keep don't need to be planted in the substrate. I keep varieties of Anubias, Java fern, Cryptocoryne, Singapore moss, Anacharis and Pennywort. The Anacharis and Pennywort can be floated and the others simply attached to driftwood or lava rock with sewing thread or a rubber band and set on top of the substrate. The roots attach to the wood or rock and eventually into the substrate. The Corys have never damaged any of these plants.

The aquarium plants I keep will tolerate water temps between 70 degrees to 82 and even a bit higher.

B

Yay! They have most of those at my local petco, so id be sure to get what they have. Thanks again!:)

Yay! They have most of those at my local petco, so id be sure to get what they have. Thanks again!:)

Also, do these terms apply to Schwartz Cories? They have them both at my lfs and I was wondering if they are similar regarding water conditions. (Temp, ph)..would 4 be significant enough? I have a 10g.
Thanks again! :)

Hello Fishing...

Corydoras do best in groups of 6 or more, because they're "shoaling" fish and are most comfortable in a group of their own species. Small tanks aren't the best choice for keeping these fish. They're foragers and need more swimming area than most aquarium fish. If a 10 G tank is the best you can do, then get the smallest Corys available, like Pygmies or Pandas and get 6 to 8.

B

Hello Fishing...

Corydoras do best in groups of 6 or more, because they're "shoaling" fish and are most comfortable in a group of their own species. Small tanks aren't the best choice for keeping these fish. They're foragers and need more swimming area than most aquarium fish. If a 10 G tank is the best you can do, then get the smallest Corys available, like Pygmies or Pandas and get 6 to 8.

B

Ah, Im afraid 5 is the most I can go without completely overstocking my tank.. :/ ill see what I can do.

Hi my panda's are kept in a planted tank with a P/H of 8,currently we are having a heatwave so they seem tolerant of higher temperatures but try and increase the oxygen levels if you can when its warmer. I simply either add an airstone for temporary or raise the spray bar above the waterline or the return of your filter. Also would recommend at least 6 but that would be a tight squeeze in your tank so four maybe better choice?

You said you wanted to also add 4 neon tetras and two Platies? The Platies would fully stock the tank with their high bioload.

I would do 5 Panda Cories and 5 Neon Tetras, or just the two Platies.

Hi my panda's are kept in a planted tank with a P/H of 8,currently we are having a heatwave so they seem tolerant of higher temperatures but try and increase the oxygen levels if you can when its warmer. I simply either add an airstone for temporary or raise the spray bar above the waterline or the return of your filter. Also would recommend at least 6 but that would be a tight squeeze in your tank so four maybe better choice?

Yeah, I was thinking of 4..but then I don't want that to be too little of a group..so then I might try 5, and add live plants to help the bioload a bit. Though maybe 4, for the sake of the filter.

I live in Hawaii so there is never any snow or super cold weather. I will def get an airstone or bubble wand! Thank you!!

You said you wanted to also add 4 neon tetras and two Platies? The Platies would fully stock the tank with their high bioload.

I would do 5 Panda Cories and 5 Neon Tetras, or just the two Platies.

Ah, well I changed my mind about the neon tetras, because the 2 platy are already in the tank, can't really exclude them from my stocking plan. So def the cories and platy, I was thinking of adding scarlet badis to my tank, because they are tiny and more solitary.

Back
Top Bottom