pH problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tessymae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all I am new to this and very desperate at this point. I took a water sample to an aquarium shop and they tested my water and said everything was good except my pH was to high 7.8. So I tested my tap water and it too had high pH. I brought water in from an outside source tested it and the pH was perfect. I put the water in the aquarium left it set for 14 hours and the pH went up in it. There is absolutely nothing in the tank except water and the running filter. No rocks, No fish, No plants, No gravel. When I did the last complete water change on Friday I washed out the aquarium itself and everything. I don't know what else to do. What caused my pH to rise in the tank that has nothing in it?

7.8 is not too high. all of my tanks run at 7.8. If it is stable, its fine. my only question is why did you take everything out of the tank and wash it?

the guy at the store told me that something in my tank was causing my pH to go up. He said to take everything out and start all over. Starting with plan water with the right pH and see if it goes up when nothing else is in the tank. That is what happen. The pH was fine when I put it in the tank then while it set overnight it went up. I have tried putting many fish into the aquarium and they have all died. He said tropical fish can't live in a pH that high.

if your tap water is 7.8, its not going to drop naturally in your tank. you cant always trust the lfs! like i said, my tap water is 7.8 as is the ph in every one of my tanks. I suggest you purchase a good liquid test kit such as the API Master FW Test Kit, properly cycle the tank without fish, then once the tank is cycled, slowly add a few fish. It could be that you're not acclimating them properly to your water parameters, the tank wasnt cycled, or they were just sick to begin with. the ph, if stable, is not the issue. now if the ph is bouncing all over the place, then you have a problem, but generally speaking, a ph of 7.8 straight from the tap will stay pretty consistant

the simple act of letting water sit out and de-gas will cause your pH to change.
take a glass, pour some tap water in it. test said tap water. let it sit for 24-48 hours. retest said tap water. i guarantee you that your pH will change. and it's normal.
what does this prove? absolutely nothing. The only time pH REALLY matters in your aquarium is if you're keeping and/or trying to breed sensitive fish. Other than that, the fish don't care AS LONG AS YOU KEEP YOUR PH STABLE and you do that by routine water changes. Many chain pet stores will blame any and all fish deaths on improper ph and it's a load of phooey. They'll try to sell you all different types of ph buffers and you'll be constantly chasing your ph all over the place and THAT is what will kill your fish.
here's my advice:
cycle your tank
buy your fish
do your routine maintenance
enjoy your happy healthy fish
it's really just that simple

take a glass, pour some tap water in it. test said tap water. let it sit for 24-48 hours. retest said tap water. i guarantee you that your pH will change. and it's normal.

mine doesnt. it is 7.8 from the tap, 7.8 a week later, 7.8 a month later, and so on. otherwise, i agree with everything else ;)

mine doesnt. it is 7.8 from the tap, 7.8 a week later, 7.8 a month later, and so on. otherwise, i agree with everything else ;)
Are you on well or city water? If you're on well, there's no chlorine/chloramine to off gas. If you're on city... well then you have some perty special water...

city water. same goes for this whole area. there is alot of limestone here which im assuming contributes to the naturally stable ph. all the lakes and rivers have around the same

Are you on well or city water? If you're on well, there's no chlorine/chloramine to off gas. If you're on city... well then you have some perty special water...

First - chloramines do not off gas <They do breakdown under strong sunlight after a week or 2.> Chlorine do off gas, but that shouldn't change pH much.

pH change is water left standing mostly is due to CO2 off gassing <usu. seen in deep well water or water from deep aquifiers>, or possible from volatile bases added in the water treatment plant. <So call liming ... or addition of Ca(OH)2 or CaO to water to raise pH.> A lot of city water (mine included) do not change pH when left out.

Back
Top Bottom