pics of my algae and such

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyjawn

Aquarium Advice Activist
relating to my thread about increasing CO2 in my tank, here are some pics of the algae that i'm in a fight with.

the algae on the leaves is green and fuzzy and i apologize in advance for the lousy photograph. i hate my camera and can't afford a DSLR yet. :(

img_743968_0_3a1fe7b7fea01c5979055e3af31f5e8b.jpg

here is the greyish algae on the driftwood. it's only on one piece, the other piece if perfect.

img_743968_1_b3c9e6f1bb1fcc683b933eebe68cfa0b.jpg

and here's my tank for reference...

img_743968_2_eac98e7e37866ed5639c5bdc3d5b71a6.jpg

if anyone can help me out with what types of algae these are, that would be great. none of the photos online have helped me. thanks!

The picture on the top looks like a fuzz algae. The second picture looks odd. The algae on the drift wood looks cotton-y. Like mold. Is the driftwood new?

The best method I have found for the fuzz algae is a few Siamese Algae Eaters. Over all the tank looks good.

thank you! it does look kind of like mold on the driftwood. i brought it home from Big Al's when i set up the tank a month ago.... i've taken it out of the tank and tried to clean it but i need a wire brush to get it all off. maybe i'll try a bleach solution of something.

i'd love to know what exactly it is though! :)

You only need to wire brush new driftwood to knock the bark off, really... driftwood like you have from BA's should just need a soaking after a blast from your garden hose.

Sicklid said:
You only need to wire brush new driftwood to knock the bark off, really... driftwood like you have from BA's should just need a soaking after a blast from your garden hose.

well i've tried 3 times to get that slimy stuff off my driftwood and i've failed each time. i can never get it all off. and i've boiled the damn thing to death too! i suppose i could go to my dad's and ask him to bust out the pressure sprayer! ;)

the slime on the driftwood is perfectly normal - it is opportunistic fungus feasting on your brand new wood. it will go away with time, or to hurry it up, get a bristlenose! don't take it off yourself, and especially don't boil it any more - you're just removing bacteria that will eventually take over from the funugs, and slowing it down!

zenkatydid said:
the slime on the driftwood is perfectly normal - it is opportunistic fungus feasting on your brand new wood. it will go away with time, or to hurry it up, get a bristlenose! don't take it off yourself, and especially don't boil it any more - you're just removing bacteria that will eventually take over from the funugs, and slowing it down!

oh thanks! i'll wait and see if it goes away on it's own....

Back
Top Bottom