Platys not getting along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had platys since the first time I bought my 16 gallon tank, I had the odd dead here and there and I am getting better understanding their habits. I have always kept 3 platys at one time no more. But it seems that any kind of combination that I make, 2 female 1 male, all female or all male one of them it always gets really aggressive towards one of the others but always following around the other one. Is it just me? Should I try 4 instead of three.?
Like many of you I can't wait to upgrade my tank for a bigger one. I very much enjoy looking these little guys swimming around and I would like to get live plants and all that. One step at the time. Back to my original point. It just seems really odd o me.
Thanks to all of you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have had a similar problem, but my platys went a step further and would attack and eat the zebra danios that I had just added to the tank, I lost five of the danios to them and they didn't stop until I separated them (the platys). So just be aware that they can have some very bad personality's. One way that may work to stop this is to keep them in a large school so that the aggression is spread out among the school instead of being directed at other fish, similar to the way tiger barbs are keep in large schools so the they don't attack the other fish. This is just a idea but this may work.

Wow, I never had platies that were that aggressive. They only chase each other around when trying to mate. Definitely try to add more to thin out the aggression. Good luck!! :)

Sometimes adding a larger fish calms them down, but that's more of a last resort thing IMO.

Back
Top Bottom