Please help me get some nitrites! 29 gallon fishless cycle....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pugmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
Dosed to 4ppm (or a little above) on June 3rd - no surfactants or other things listed. It is older ammonia, probably about 5% concentrated based on how much I had to add to get it to go....

ammonia started dropping on 6/11

Here we are 6/19 and still no nitrites :(
Today's readings:
pH - 8.2 (gosh I hope this gets lower before I put the fish in.....)
Ammonia - between 0.5 and 1 ppm
nitrites = 0 ppm

Should I redose ammonia at this point? PWC? I am worried something else is wrong....

Other info that may be useful:
temp - between 82 and 84F
water level lowered to get splash from aquaclear 50 filter
have bubble aerator
added driftwood 1.5 weeks ago
added pinch of fish food 4 days ago to try to help something.....

:hide::hide::hide:

I'd dose with ammonia again, you want to keep it up higher than that. I'd prob shoot for about 3ppm. Your other levels look pretty good for cycling conditions though.

Do you know what kind of fish you are going to get. A lot of the time PH level isn't as important as consistency, so long as it's not jumping all around you may very well be fine, you could add some more driftwood to naturally lower it though.

Thanks! I think my tap ph is more like 7.6, so hope I will be ok....want danios, cories, neon tetras, bn pleco....

Will try to redose ammonia tonight. thank you!

Thanks! I think my tap ph is more like 7.6, so hope I will be ok....want danios, cories, neon tetras, bn pleco....

Will try to redose ammonia tonight. thank you!

Is that 7.6 out of the tap or after sitting a while? You should be fine with all of those types and a higher PH, again it's more important to keep it stable.

TBH I think it was sitting for a day, but I am not positive.

my bigger worry is the seemingly endless cycle - lol. Just dosed back up to 2-4 ppm - fingers crossed it jumpstarts something!

Thanks!

hi jlk - I tested nitrates about 3 days ago in hopes that I may have just missed the nitrites spike, but no go :( I will try again tonight for the sake of completeness.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry yet; you're only about 2 weeks in. Nitrites usually show in week 3-4 on average. Your ammonia is starting to drop, so that's good. Once that picks up, nitrites should follow.

thanks everyone - I am just so excited to get my fish :) and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something....

yay! nitrites! a shade under 3 weeks in.
today's readings are:
pH = 7.8-8.0
ammonia = 1-2 ppm
nitrites = 0.25 ppm
nitrates = 0-5 ppm

excited to see some movement!

hello jlk or anyone who might know....

Right now I am converting ammonia very quickly (< 24 hours) and have high nitrites, nitrates. I have been redosing ammonia every day. Should I take a day off at some point to see if the nitrites drop? Or just keep redosing....

I am on day 5 of 5+ nitrites so I assume I have a little bit of time before the drop.....

If it was my tank... I would continue to dose ammonia every 24 hours but at a lower concentration, to about 2ppm, so that the nitrite does not get too out of hand. Once you see significant nitrite conversion bump the ammonia back up to 3-4ppm until everything zeros out. If nitrite ever goes off the chart do a PWC to put it back on the chart and add a tiny pinch of fish food. If the pH ever takes a dramatic plunge into the low sixes do a PWC to get it back up.

thanks blert - I am probably due for another water change then. I did a 50% change yesterday, but still didn't get nitrite on the chart.....

pugmom said:
thanks blert - I am probably due for another water change then. I did a 50% change yesterday, but still didn't get nitrite on the chart.....

It is possible that the nitrite level is very high then. It may take more than one 50% PWC to get it back onto the chart. Changing the water won't necessarily harm your cycle but remember to keep your filter media wet and try to do it as quick as possible so the sides of your tank don't stay dry for too long.

At 5 days of high nitrites, I wouldn't be overly concerned yet. Your fine to do a water change whenever you want to bring them down to a readable level (less 2). I would honestly do a 100% wc. Don't be surprised if your nitrites don't drop much. You then can dose amm to 2 & see how things progress. :)

thanks to you both. I sure can use the practice with water changes anyway....lol.

yeah, I must be swimming in nitrites....on to my 3rd major water change with the last one being about 85-90% and still super high (2-5+ I can never tell the diff once it goes to the pinkish purple) nitrites. Nitrates went from off the charts to 10-20 ish with the last water change....

last ammonia addition was about 20 hours ago.

Can I go another day without ammonia to see if I can get some nitrites to convert? Should I do yet another WC?

Thanks!

edit, I also just added a small pinch of fish food....

Yeah sure, you can give it a day without an ammonia dose to see what happens. It would take a few days without a dose to effect the bacteria. If your nitrates rise on tomorrow's test you are getting very close. I wouldn't do another PWC right now, just take the day off and let the tank sit.
What is your ammonia level right now? (just curious)

Back
Top Bottom