Please help me get some nitrites! 29 gallon fishless cycle....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ammonia is zero - I seem to be converting 2-4 ppm in about 12 hours or so....
thanks!

crumbs, still sky high nitrites this am. I guess I am headed for another massive water change today....(and ammonia)

The nitrite phase typically takes twice as long as the ammonia phase. What you can do is after a wc, drop your ammonia dose down to 2ppm until your nitrite>nitrate bacteria catch up. You then can work on gradually increasing it without the nitrites going crazy once everything is up to speed. Keep us posted! :)

thanks - I dosed to 2 ppm tonight after a water change that brought the nitrites down to approx 1 ppm. We shall see how it goes.
*twiddles thumbs*

the usual - yesterday after water change and ammonia dosage -
ammonia = 2.0
nitrite = 1-2 ppm
nitrate = 10-20 ppm

today
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 2-5+
nitrate = 40-80 ppm

similar to my last large water change last week

it looks like the nitrite is converting, correct? just not enough to drop the total in the tank?

Thats great! Your nitrites are definitely being converted! They are just not quite up to speed to see a definite drop in 24hrs. Skip the ammonia for today if you havent dosed yet. If you have, no big deal. Your getting very close! :)

:thanks:thanks jlk, I am hopeful. Will skip todays dosage and hope for a drop tomorrow....

still sky high nitrites and nitrates today. I know I should probably do a water change, but I feel like death today, so I am guessing just an ammonia addition :(

pugmom said:
yeah, I must be swimming in nitrites....on to my 3rd major water change with the last one being about 85-90% and still super high (2-5+ I can never tell the diff once it goes to the pinkish purple) nitrites. Nitrates went from off the charts to 10-20 ish with the last water...

took me TWO almost 100% WC's (syphoned it down below the gravel) to get the NitrItes down. I think getting that extra 5% out helps. I'm sittin at .25ppm now.

pugmom said:
still sky high nitrites and nitrates today. I know I should probably do a water change, but I feel like death today, so I am guessing just an ammonia addition :(

Remember, just like it takes a person time to change a slice of pizza into, well, you know, it takes the bacteria time to convert one thing to another. Today's nitrate was ammonia like three or so days ago.

Did the nitrates increase from yesterday?

hard to say - I have such a problem reading the nitrate chart colors. I would say darker, but not off the charts.

going to dose another 2ppm ammonia today....if no drop tomorrow then I will attempt another large water change (?) to get nitrites readable again....

blert - :) love the analogy.

about the same as yesterday, off the charts nitrites, nitrates about the same.

Skip another ammonia dose? PWC?

still high 5+ nitrites today and 160+ nitrates. (0 ammonia)
Just did a 90% water change....

nitrite = 0.25-0.5 ppm
nitrate = 5-10 ppm

Will be dosing to 2 ppm ammonia today....

same stuff different day......
nitrites = 5+ (were like this when I checked last night and today)
nitrates up = 40-80.

I just don't get why I am not seeing a nitrite drop. My java fern is dying, not sure if that is adding to the problem or is a result (high nitrites.)
either way, I am grumpy. :(

Don't worry, all is good! You started seeing nitrite about two weeks ago, right? The nitrite phase is the longest, typically taking about 3 weeks before they fall (mine took 2.5), so just hang in there a bit longer! :)

thanks - right now I am dosing ammonia every other day, should I keep up that routine? Also the ton of PWC?

Back
Top Bottom