Please help w/ 180 gallon tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kishii2213

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just got a 180 gallon tank and it needs new everything. I want to keep it freshwater. I need recommendations on pumps/filters/heaters/sumps?the whole 9 yards. This is my first tank

Just got a 180 gallon tank and it needs new everything. I want to keep it freshwater. I need recommendations on pumps/filters/heaters/sumps?the whole 9 yards. This is my first tank

Well you will have to decide what you would like to keep then go from there.

So you could do a planted tank or a cichlid tank. (Those type both would look great!)

Or you could just keep community fish in there.

I think either would be exclusively nice!

I would go with a fluval fx5 canister filter, a couple marineland stealth pro 300w heaters, pfs substrate (pool filter sand), a python water changing system (or a cheaper brand, even a diy model), an API Master Fw Test Kit, a couple bottles of Prime, follow the link in my signature on fishless cycling, then stock it with the fish of your choice... I think that would make a nice mbuna setup myself :)

it show that its only rated for 607 gph... isnt the general rule 7-10x the gallons of water is what you want the gph to be?

i think that " rule" is more of a flow rate for powerheads in saltwater aquariums. I have a fluval 305 and 405 in my 150g and plan on upgrading to the fx5 soon. It is rated for 400g, which should be plenty of filtration for your tank imo. if you wanted, you could get a wet/dry setup instead, something like 75g or so

It really depends on what you want to keep as to what is best & what flow rate is needed. An FX5 should be OK for most fish, although for a heavily stocked tank (esp. with messy fish like goldfish or big cichlids, you might want a bit more flow - either adding a second canister or have a sump setup.)

Hi there
Big tanks are a lot of fun/hastle but you'll love it.
I have a 175 gl. full of Barbs.

You'll need 2 heater, each big enough to heat the tank, much more even heat.
Two Rena canister filters, that way you can clean one at a time.
Depending on how much water circulation you want, you might look at getting a couple of submersible pumps to push the water around the tank.

Make darn sure you have a good stand, NO short cuts here!
This is all for a freshwater tank, salt is for others to comment on.
I would recommend going freshwater till you learn an awful lot about fish husbandry.

$.02

An FX5 would be fine with community fish, if you venture into larger fish such as ciclhlids / oddballs you would need a little more than an FX5. A wet dry would be a good choice but the downside to those are the noise levels.

Let us know what you want to stock the tank with and we can help you from there.

Back
Top Bottom