Possible African Butterfly stocking list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epicfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I've searched the forums regarding this fish already and I think I have a stocking list that won't be eaten by the AFB. I'm still wondering about the mid-level though. I want to stock cardinal tetras, but afraid that the AFB will make an expensive meal out of them. This will be in a 40 gallon breeder planted tank.

= Top Level =
African Butterfly Fish
img_759021_0_09d899a3cfb85b58de31569d9c1e5ead.jpg

= Mid Level =
Threadfin / Longfin Rainbow
threadfin-rainbow11-10.jpg

Cardinal Tetra -- afraid they'll get eaten
042.jpg

= Low Level =
Amano Shrimp
amano_shrimp.jpg

Otocinclus
230px-Otocinclus_affinis.JPG

Corydoras paleatus
corydora_paleatus.jpg

Corydoras melanistius
corydoras_melanistius.jpg

-1 or 2 AFB.
-7 longfin rainbowfish
-15-20 cardinal tetras.

-15-20 Amano shrimp
-12-15 Otos
-6 Corydoras paleatus
-And possibly 6 Corydoras melanistius

What do you all think?

As far as your list, I would cut everything in half. That's a whole lotta stuff for a 40 gal. That's JMO.
I think the best bet is to stick with one ABF. I think they fight with each other. I have had one in my semi-aggressive 55 gal for about 2 years and he's doing great! There are no other top dwellers in the tank.
I had another one in my 29 gal community with emporer tetras and celebes rainbows and he didn't seem to bother them. Emporers, however, are much bigger than cardinals. I would stick in the cardinals and see how they do. With a 40 gal, I would go with 13-15 of the cardinals. The 7 threadfins should be fine. They are very similar to the celebes I had with mine in the 29.
Now for the clean up crew/ bottom dwellers.....
I'm not familiar with the amano shrimp. If they're anything like ghost shrimp, the rainbows and ABF will probably go after them and eat them. I have never had otos either. From what I understand, they're algae eaters. 12-15 is alot. There may not be enough algae in that size tank for them. I'm assuming they will also eat flake and other types of food, but I don't know for sure, cuz I've never kept them. I would def cut that in half and go with maybe 6. Twelve cories also seems like alot for a 40 gal tank. Maybe go with 4 of each kind.
Again, that's all JMO. But that's what I would do with that kind of set-up. There's so many kinds of FW fish that can be kept in community tanks. I always like to leave room in case I run into something I really like.
HTH :)

1 AFB
8 Rainbowfish
8 Corys
4 Ottos

That would be more like it for a 40 gallon stocking list, imo.

Nik

Back
Top Bottom