Problems with colored gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Praias

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I'm still busy getting ready a better tank for my fishies, and now I came across one problem:

I noticed the water on the aquarium was quite cloudy and not getting any better so after some search I discovered what was the problem: the gravel!

I got blue and green gravel (pre mixed in a bag) and no matter how many times I wash it it, dye still comes off (the aquarium was getting some nice colors).

It doesn't sound too healthy for the fish :?

I think I'm going back to natural colored gravel but I wanted to know if this is normal because if it's not I will take it back to teh shop and complain.

Thank you!

Yes normal... (in my experience)... and likely NOT harmful to the fish (but admittedly unattractive)... it would be an odd dye that was toxic at such low levels.
Eventually the filters will clear up the water ... carbon will probably accelerate that process.

Another option would be to rinse the gravel in a strong vinegar solution (will act as a mild thinner to help wash some of the "extra" dye off)... then rinse well with clean water (a LITTLE vinegar residue won't hurt the fish... but don't try this with petroleum based thinners!)

Back
Top Bottom