Proper Temperature for Orandas & Black Moor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinkel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my internet searches, I've found a huge variance in the suggested temp ranges for these fish.

They are currently in a 75 degree tank - - and they seem to really enjoy this temp. The other day, the temp went down to 72 (exceptionally chilly night, and the heater must've taken a little longer to catch up?) - and I swear I noticed a difference - they seemed to swim around less (particularly the Black Moor). Once the temp went back up, they seemed "happier" again. :confused:

But is 75 too high a temp for them? I want to do what's best for their long term health. What would you suggest?

They are suppose to be in a moderate temperature. All fish are different though, and if it works I say go for it.

-Dylan

Thanks, Dylan. :) You're the first reply I've gotten to this thread. I really appreciate it.

Orandas & Moors are sub-tropical, so temp in the mid 70's suit them just fine.

They can stand much higher temps if the aeration is good. <My tank gets up to 80 in summer.> Warmer water can carry much less O2 than cool, and goldfish do get into trouble in warm water if there is not enough aeration.

At temps around 70, fancy goldfish start to slow down. Many gets into gut problems at lower temp (60's). <Their gut is squished due to the shape, and low temp = low gut motility, so they get constipated.> Get colder than 60, and the fish will prepare to hibernate for the winter!

jsoong, thankyouthankyouthankyou! :D This makes me feel so much better. I KNEW I noticed a difference in their activity when it got colder! I'm so happy to know that mid 70's are fine for them.

I wasn't aware of warmer water having less O2, so thanks for that info - I will keep an eye that it doesn't go too high. Just out of curiosity, does an air stone help with O2? My gut tells me no, but just thought I would ask. (I've got one running in their tank.)

Bubbles help with aeration. So in the summer I always make sure there is more bubbles going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

An airstone doesn't add extra O2 to the water directly, but by creating ripples in the water, it increases the surface area so will help improve gas exchange.

Depends on your size of tank as to how effective an airstone will be. For big tanks, a water pump making ripples at the surface (or a water fall/fountain in ponds) will be more effective.

Thanks guys! I'll make sure it's properly aerated in preparation for warmer temps, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom