Quickest cycle for a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkoyko

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just curious what is the quickest anyone has ever had a filter cycle for them?

I ask because I have a female betta and I broke her original tank back when she had ich and bought her a 3g kit and she's dang near through her cycle (while I wasn't watching because school this week has been rough). I've been doing pwc on her ever other day thinking it would take awhile to see any changes and today she's has no ammonia, 1ppm nitrites, and 20ppm nitrates. I did use sand from my cycled tank to set her tank up but didn't think the amount of bacteria transferred would be enough to cycle her. Guess I was proven wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was just curious what is the quickest anyone has ever had a filter cycle for them?

I ask because I have a female betta and I broke her original tank back when she had ich and bought her a 3g kit and she's dang near through her cycle (while I wasn't watching because school this week has been rough). I've been doing pwc on her ever other day thinking it would take awhile to see any changes and today she's has no ammonia, 1ppm nitrites, and 20ppm nitrates. I did use sand from my cycled tank to set her tank up but didn't think the amount of bacteria transferred would be enough to cycle her. Guess I was proven wrong.

I think the soonest would be 2 weeks with using some filter media from an established tank for me. The sand would have helped for sure to start things along, as well as any decor swapped over as well. I always have been able to have my cycle go through alot faster than expected based on reading up online. And partial water changes to keep things decent for the fish in the meantime. Glad it wasnt dragged out too long for ya!

Same here - 2 weeks is about the quickest I have using help from other media and trying bacteria in a bottle.

The lfs here likes to see a new tank run for at least a week before trying fish-in cycling so perhaps there is other stuff going on as the tank beds in as well.

This was pretty much a run and grab a tank because she was stuck in a little plastic cup thing and she had ich at the time so I was trying to get everything together and the tank ran for about 2 weeks uncycled because I was making sure all of her ich was gone and there was some crap piece of filter sponge that I cut to fit her filter to just to get by during the ich fiasco. About a week and a half ago I tossed the crap filter and put a better piece of filter in fresh to actually cycle her and cleaned the whole tank before adding just the sand from my cycled tank and some brand new plants from a big box store. She's in the final stages of cycling. All that's left is for the second form of bacteria to get bigger. I'm guessing that will probably happen within a week or less at this rate.

Back
Top Bottom