Rocks for a FW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just set up a FW tank and for the gravel I used some pebbles from Cape May, NJ. These are the small sound smooth rocks about the size on an eraser head and smaller. They have been in storage for about 2 years. I wrinsed them with tap water for a good 5 mins..

Are these safe for my tank? I do have fish in there now and they seem fine. Is there a water test I can do to check to see if they are having an affect on the water?

Thanks,
John

it's hard to say. There is a vinegar test you can use on rocks. Where you pour vinegar on them and if they bubble they can't be used.

Is your tank cycled yet? How long has it been up and running with the fish and rocks?

Re:

I had the tank set up for 24 hours before adding fish. I only added 4 fish, 2 Rio Tetras and 2 cherry barbs.

I had the tank set up for 24 hours before adding fish. I only added 4 fish, 2 Rio Tetras and 2 cherry barbs.

Alright. hmm.. Well your tank isn't cycled so you are going to need to do a bit of research to keep your fish happy and healthy.

I suggest these 2 articles

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

How big is your tank? You have 2 different schooling fish there and really don't have enough of each either. There should be at least 5-6 of each but unless your tank is about 20 gallons or so I would strongly consider returning 1 or perhaps both types depending on the size of your tank and researching something that would be more suitable. Maybe research your fish too to give you a better idea of if you are able to meet there needs.

In the mean time I suggest you read those articles so you know what your tank and fish are going to go through over the next several weeks. Then I would test those rocks to be on the safe side. It's really hard to say when you get something from outside. I have slate in my tank from a local tank but I know it's slate and it's aquarium safe. It's hard to say what these rocks could be. I'd take some and do the vinegar test as a start to see. You'll also need a good liquid test kit to start testing your water. API master test kit is a preferred one here, it's great. You'll need this to be sure you keep your water quality good so it doesn't harm your fish.

Back
Top Bottom