Rookie with 29g - Need tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought an Oceanic 29g today that included:

Tank
Stand
Hood with light - can't tell what bulb, but its 23" and says "POWER Glo"
Heater
2 Air pumps
2 Powerheads
2 Filters
7-8 Random plants (plastic)
4 Rocks
Undergravel filter - not the full length of tank, does this matter?
Half of a Python - just the part that goes in the tank and about 12' of tubing

I've read through alot of posts, hopefully I've learned some stuff. I'm going to cycle without fish, but I don't know for sure how to do it yet. I know I need a test kit, what should I look for? I haven't found a good local fish store yet, is PetsMart good for supplies? I know I need a few bags of rock, not sure how much or what kind yet. I'd like some airstones to put at the back of the tank, too.

It had alot of deposits on the sides of the tank and on the hood. I got most of it off with some CLR, I've been rinsing like a madman to get it all clean.

Also, I think the bulb is burned out, hopefully its not the ballast or something else. Where can I get a new bulb? Should I just buy a new hood instead? This one looks pretty old.

What else am I missing? I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

For test kits - the best to use is the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit, which is sold at PetSmart. It tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Don't use test strips (paper strip type tests) as they are expensive on a per-test basis, and they aren't very accurate after the first time the container is open and exposed to air.
Print out this page and take it to PetSmart, and have them do a price-match on the test kit - the in-store price is near $30.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...1149057714342&itemNo=2&In=Fish&N=2030068&Ne=2

It sounds like you purchased a used set-up. Be sure to check out the sturdiness of the stand, and make sure it doesn't have any wobbly points. And it's always a good idea to fill the tank with water outside before setting it up inside, just to make sure the seals are really water-tight.

Does the light have a wattage on it? I'd assume it's this one, at 20-watts.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3816&N=2004+113350

Before deciding what type lighting and substrate (large gravel, small gravel, sand, etc) to get, you should decide if you're going to get live plants or not. It's a lot easier to make the tank live-plant-friendly from the beginning, rather than after it's already set-up. Are you planning to grow live plants?

What type of filter are the "2 filters"?

The heater should be at least 150-watts.

Also, for future cleaning of mineral deposits - white vinegar works pretty well and will be safer for the aquarium environment. It will decrease pH, but is otherwise not too toxic.

Definitely check out the articles at the tops of each forum here, as that will give you lots of useful information.

Good luck!

Noncentric, thanks for the reply.

The info on the light has been rubbed off, all I could make out is the POWER Glo part, so I don't know what it is. I just want something that looks good and is low maintenance. I'm not certain the bulb is burned out, it could be the ballast. Maybe I can find a light at PetsMart to check this. I'm not going to use live plants.

After looking at the filters, they're very old and heavily plugged up with mineral deposits. I think I will just buy a new filter and start fresh. What type should I look at for this tank?

I can't tell what size the heater is, but it says "Penn Plax Therma Flow PC" on the top, and it's about 10" tall.

I've got a few mineral deposits I still need to get rid of, I'll give some white vinegar a try.

I use the penquin 200 hob with bio wheel on my 29g.Love it.
Aquaclear hobs are often mentioned here as well.

Since you are going to cycle fishless (good choice btw) you'll have plenty of time to see how well the heater works.

As far as petsmart goes....anything you can find on thier site they will price match it in the store.Test kits,filters,heaters,lights ect...all that stuff...the savings can be a pretty good percentage too.
But keep in mind that not everything on the site will be in the store....so print all of you options for each before going.

I'll second the AP master liquid test kit...can't beat it.

If you are in the US,
  • http://www.bigalsonline.com[/link] has great prices on equipment.

Biowheels are great filters but can be a little noisy. Aqua clear is a great brand. They are pretty quiet and easy to maintain. The good thing about them is that you don't have to keep buying filter material. I keep 2 sponges in my ACs and just rinse one in old tank water once a month, then switch the sponges out and you're good to go. The only time you would have to buy new material is if you needed carbon.

I think its always best to buy a new heater. I won't use a used one just because I don't know what wattage it is or it works properly. Yes you can test it out and see if it works, but for me I would just like to get a brand that i know is good...and will work properly.

I use Visi-therm Stealth heaters. They are black, so they blend in with my background, and I can set them to a certain temperature.

If the ballast is bad, you will just have to buy a light fixture, or another hood. Full hoods can be expensive. I think PetSmart sells them and I think Big Al's has them. You could always just buy a light and a glass top, but the costs are pretty much equal to the full hoods. And if you don't want live plants, I would just get the hood.

Big Al's also sells the AP master kit, which is a great kit. It is accurate and pretty easy to read. Be sure to get a test kit before you start cycling.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I just got back from a trip to PetsMart and picked up a new light bulb (same kind, 20w), Penguin 150 Power filter, Master Test Kit and a thermometer that sticks to the outside of the tank.

Is the Penguin 150 a good choice? I can take it back for something different if I need to. I need to go back anyway, forgot to take the printout from the website to save on pricing.

I'm also considering doing a planted tank now. At first I wasn't because I wanted easy setup and maintenence, but from the research I've been doing, it seems that plants help to maintain a healthy tank. Should I do a planted tank for my first time?

Is the Penguin 150 a good choice? I can take it back for something different if I need to. I need to go back anyway, forgot to take the printout from the website to save on pricing.

I'm also considering doing a planted tank now. At first I wasn't because I wanted easy setup and maintenence, but from the research I've been doing, it seems that plants help to maintain a healthy tank. Should I do a planted tank for my first time?

The 150 will do fine imo...but the thinking I see on this site more often then not is over filtration is the better option.I agree with that position as well.

If you can find what you have purchased on line you can take the printed pages back to petsmart with your receipt....they'll still do it.

No reason not to go planted...but with your current lighting you will have to stay with very low light plants.Check in the planted forum for more ideas on the matter.I'm currently trying to plant one at .6 watts per gallon which is very low.

you might even consider a cannister filter, that way if you ever upgrade you can keep the filter. Also can customize the filter media and free up tank space. I have the rena XP3 as do many other members here and love it.

I can return this bulb for a higher wattage if needed, so I can switch to planted if needed. I might get a canister filter, but I don't think I want to spend the extra money for that. I'll keep shopping to see what I can find.

In regards to substrate, I'm thinking of using sand. I found this thread where someone used Quickcrete Medium Grade sand, I really like the way it looks. Would I have any problems doing a planted tank with sand like this?

img_647802_0_69b07dabf5b5b5915d2343af3e13dcd1.jpg

i love my two 20g with a white sand substrate

I couldn't find any pool filter sand, which would be your best option due to pricing, i bought the white moon sand they have at petsmart. The cories I just bought yesterday really apreciate the sand. My 55g has a gravel substrate, i am thinking of changing it over to sand as well, i just really like the way it looks. the plants in my 20g seem to apreciate the sand as well

Pool filter sand is what is most often recommended and is also suggested for low light tanks.Perfect for you situation and the look is great.Thats what I have in my 50g low light.

Check by lowes or home depot.One bag did it for me...pretty cheap too.

Will do. I didn't realize there was a freshwater planted tank forum here. I'll direct some questions over there...

Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom