Second hand tank - how much cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kwakatoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I have received 2 second hand tanks (both from different sources). Unknown history, includes gravel substrates, filers etc. It's evident I need to do a level of cleaning, but how much?
- no chemicals - check
- vinegar/water mix through everything? If so, what ratios to use?Or do I go less aggressive?

Any hints or tips?

Once ready to fill, I have existing tank filter media to help start cycle. Just really wondering about the pre water adding prep - thank you!!

I have baked and put substrate in boiling water to make sure it was clean. As well as dipped ornaments in boiling water briefly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I saw a great youtube video few weeks ago by LupDiesel on how to clean a fish tank amazing tips there why don't you check it out.

Thank you! Yes will have a look. Given I've got 2 new tanks I want to get this right from the start :)

I'm so excited.. I'll have 4 tanks... All small.. But 4!!! That'll give me options!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Wipe the tank with hydrogen peroxide. It will kill any bba if it has it and the previous owner had it.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did this yesterday.. Re seal.. So a week of smelly curing, then another washout..

It's silicone was shrunken, loose, hard and mouldy.. Not any more!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472336291.726391.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm pretty sure it is. Do you think that's an issue? I'm partial to scraping it off and adding a plant image/typical poster. Thoughts?

If it is acrylic paint rubbing alcohol will remove it. Or at lease soften it where an old gift card will scrape it right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom