Seeded cannister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scooter2210

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have seeded my cannister filter with everything out of my cycled HOB filter. My question is how long do I have to leave it in there? I want to use the HOB on another tank so I will need to take it all out again once it's all established in the cannister.

scooter2210 said:
I have seeded my cannister filter with everything out of my cycled HOB filter. My question is how long do I have to leave it in there? I want to use the HOB on another tank so I will need to take it all out again once it's all established in the cannister.

I left mine in until my new media started to get gooey. That way I could physically see the bb was there. I haven't had any issues with a crash or anything *touches wood*

ok.. From what i understand you want to take your established HOB filter out and replace it with this new one.

Danger and concern is how long until the Canister filter can handle the load the HOB is presently taking.

a few things...

Your filter does not hold your entire bio load... you beding does as does your water. As i am sure you know.

the concern is that once you remove you don't want a giant cycle.
I would have to say at least a month if not 6 weeks min..

And remember when you take it out to do water test twice daily. if you start to see a cycle... it was not ready to be removed.

your doing it right and your concern is dead on .... just wanted to toss a few things out to think about while you go through the process..

i have seen this happen and the effects are devastating to a tank if not prepared.

Thanks heaps for the info. I was thinking that it would be around a month or so. I don't think I will have any problems when I do take the HOB media back out again as it is so small compared to the media in the canister.
This is my first canister filter and so far I am pleased with it.

Back
Top Bottom