Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question Seeding Method

So basically, I buy my live plants from Petco and they usually have these plants in established tank and these plants are in small plastic pots with sponge used as a supporting medium.

Do you think this is a good medium of getting the beneficial bacteria?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, Petco tanks (and fish store tanks in general) harbor many nasties that you don't want in your tank, and could potentially be deadly to your fish. If you are looking for active filter media, Angels Plus sells active sponges that I have heard good things about http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSpongeActive.htm

Old 05-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntimelyLord View Post
No, Petco tanks (and fish store tanks in general) harbor many nasties that you don't want in your tank, and could potentially be deadly to your fish. If you are looking for active filter media, Angels Plus sells active sponges that I have heard good things about http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSpongeActive.htm

Ah ok thank you for the heads up. I have disposed off the sponges and washed them before I planted them. But I later realized that those could be a good seeding materials. But as you said thats not right. Thank you
Old 05-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Great advice. I just ordered from Angels!

Tags
method, seed, seeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com