Setting up new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UNIT-344

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just starting an aquarium up for freshwater tropical fish. About 15 years ago me and my father had a tank so I decided it's time I need some fish and I bought all near gear, and a brand new tank.

I ended up purchasing a new 44 gallon pentagon tank, an LED hood light, Fluval AquaClear 70 filter, heater. I also bought stress coat, and API master test kit. So I'm laying the tank out now, choosing the gravel and decorations.

From what I remember from years ago me and my old man use to keep a monthly calender to stay organized. Basically we wouldn't do anything for two full weeks, on the third week we would open up the filter and remove the sponge and ring it out (should it be rung out in fresh water or simply in a small bucket of your aquarium water?), change the carbon to a new one, and not touch the bio white sack thing. (Not sure if this is correct)

Fourth week we would take about 1/3 of the water out and then add fresh water with the stress coat.

Does this sound accurate?

Next, once I fill the tank and get everything flowing. What kind of fish and how many do I buy to start building up my bacteria levels, and what do I do about water changes and filter changes at this point. I read the big thing on this site but I'm still confused?

A couple of other random questions. I have a timer for the light and have it set to come on from 4pm to midnight. Is that enough time?

I also purchased a 21 inch LED light/ bubbler. I know the bubbler is not really needed I just think it looks cool with the blue LED's. Should I also set the bubbler to go on and off for the 8 hours duration the lights kick on, or let the bubbler without the light on bubble 24/7?

I also bought that hose that connects to your sink to do the cleaning and water changes. Super amazing. No more buckets like we use to lug around (pretty awesome). I'm really anticipating getting started just don't wanna screw this up.

I am looking forward to hearing advice on these subjects...Hoping to have my tank up and filled by next weekend. I love those Balla Sharks, and eventually want some of them and some other cool fish. If anyone knows what fish go well with Balla Sharks let me know.

:thanks:

I am just starting an aquarium up for freshwater tropical fish. About 15 years ago me and my father had a tank so I decided it's time I need some fish and I bought all near gear, and a brand new tank.

I ended up purchasing a new 44 gallon pentagon tank, an LED hood light, Fluval AquaClear 70 filter, heater. I also bought stress coat, and API master test kit. So I'm laying the tank out now, choosing the gravel and decorations.

From what I remember from years ago me and my old man use to keep a monthly calender to stay organized. Basically we wouldn't do anything for two full weeks, on the third week we would open up the filter and remove the sponge and ring it out (should it be rung out in fresh water or simply in a small bucket of your aquarium water?), change the carbon to a new one, and not touch the bio white sack thing. (Not sure if this is correct)

Fourth week we would take about 1/3 of the water out and then add fresh water with the stress coat.

Does this sound accurate?

Next, once I fill the tank and get everything flowing. What kind of fish and how many do I buy to start building up my bacteria levels, and what do I do about water changes and filter changes at this point. I read the big thing on this site but I'm still confused?

A couple of other random questions. I have a timer for the light and have it set to come on from 4pm to midnight. Is that enough time?

I also purchased a 21 inch LED light/ bubbler. I know the bubbler is not really needed I just think it looks cool with the blue LED's. Should I also set the bubbler to go on and off for the 8 hours duration the lights kick on, or let the bubbler without the light on bubble 24/7?

I also bought that hose that connects to your sink to do the cleaning and water changes. Super amazing. No more buckets like we use to lug around (pretty awesome). I'm really anticipating getting started just don't wanna screw this up.

I am looking forward to hearing advice on these subjects...Hoping to have my tank up and filled by next weekend. I love those Balla Sharks, and eventually want some of them and some other cool fish. If anyone knows what fish go well with Balla Sharks let me know.

:thanks:

Well to start, and I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you cannot put a Bala shark in a 44 gallon tank. You buy em small, but they get HUGE. Most people cannot house them properly due to their potential size.

Sharks do better in long tanks also, what kind of stock were you thinking of otherwise?

Not really sure, the girlfriend wants to do fish with lots of colors. The neon tetras are cool. I'm kind of just starting to look into the fish I want to put in there. Rather have peaceful fish, and not ones that are super aggressive. Any suggestions

Not really sure, the girlfriend wants to do fish with lots of colors. The neon tetras are cool. I'm kind of just starting to look into the fish I want to put in there. Rather have peaceful fish, and not ones that are super aggressive. Any suggestions

Are you interested in planting your tank? I'm partial to dwarf cichlids. But African cichlids are gorgeous as well. More will chime in later today, I'm one of the few up at this hour on the east coast lol

Haha me too. Never got interested in plants. Basically just want to keep it all fish. Any thoughts on my original post if u have time to read the thing lol

What are some examples of top middle and bottom dwellers that would be good for my tank

for the maintenance you will need to do a little bit more than what you were. you will need to change 25% of the water weekly. you only need to rinse the filter once a month in a bucket of tank water. you will need to cycle the tank before anything else and i would recommend doing a fishless cycle using pure ammonia.

Haha me too. Never got interested in plants. Basically just want to keep it all fish. Any thoughts on my original post if u have time to read the thing lol

I did read it all but I apologize at the moment I don't have the energy to break it down at the moment lol I'm gonna hit the hay but if no help by the morning ill be back to spread some knowledge. There's a lot of great people on here so I'm sure you'll recieve your answers before I get a chance.

I did read it all but I apologize at the moment I don't have the energy to break it down at the moment lol I'm gonna hit the hay but if no help by the morning ill be back to spread some knowledge. There's a lot of great people on here so I'm sure you'll recieve your answers before I get a chance.

Ok great thanks a lot

for the maintenance you will need to do a little bit more than what you were. you will need to change 25% of the water weekly. you only need to rinse the filter once a month in a bucket of tank water. you will need to cycle the tank before anything else and i would recommend doing a fishless cycle using pure ammonia.

Could you explain the steps in doing this for me. And the details when you get some time. Thx

Could you explain the steps in doing this for me. And the details when you get some time. Thx

here is the guide to fishless cycling it is much safer on the fish and you will have a nice amount of beneficial bacteria once its finished
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
for the water changes i would suggest getting prime instead of stress coat. it costs a little more, but you only use 1/5 as much. when you are doing a water change you will need to dose for the whole amount of the tank instead of just dosing the amount of the bucket. your air stone you can set to the timer if you want, but its not needed. your light schedule is right at what you would want it, anywhere from 6-8 hours

here is the guide to fishless cycling it is much safer on the fish and you will have a nice amount of beneficial bacteria once its finished
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
for the water changes i would suggest getting prime instead of stress coat. it costs a little more, but you only use 1/5 as much. when you are doing a water change you will need to dose for the whole amount of the tank instead of just dosing the amount of the bucket. your air stone you can set to the timer if you want, but its not needed. your light schedule is right at what you would want it, anywhere from 6-8 hours

Awesome man. Thanks.

for my 44 gallon tank when I have completed my fishless cycle then do the big 90% water change, the following day they say I should do a half stock. What is the max amount of fish for a 44 gallon tank when talking about your average size fishes like a 2inch angel fish and other similar sized ones.

Basically my question is what is a good number for a half stocked 44 gallon tank after my fishless cycle?
and what is the max amount I should ever have.

for my 44 gallon tank when I have completed my fishless cycle then do the big 90% water change, the following day they say I should do a half stock. What is the max amount of fish for a 44 gallon tank when talking about your average size fishes like a 2inch angel fish and other similar sized ones.

Basically my question is what is a good number for a half stocked 44 gallon tank after my fishless cycle?
and what is the max amount I should ever have.

Do not do a 90% water change, that will reverse your cycle. You could start a new one with that much water depletion. Unless your nitrates are high, which they are at the end of the cycle, you should not be doing more than 25-50%. I would consistently do 25% daily changes until ammonia and nitrite are 0 and your nitrates are between 10-20. Someone will help you with stock as I'm not familiar with hex setups

Back
Top Bottom