Silver Tip Tetra, troubling other fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyfach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi i am new to the site, and quite new to keeping an aquarium, i have a 15g tank , and at the moment i have 1x common pleco, 6 x black tetra ,6 x neon tetra, 4x blue rams, 1x red tail shark, 2 x platy, and 6 x silver tip tetra .

Here is my problem , i seem to have one domminant silver tetra, whos goal in life is to "herd" all the other tetras into one corner of the tank , he swims all over the tank , but if any of the other tetra dare leave the corner the neons in particular, they are vigarously chased back by him . None of the other fish seem to bother him , just the tetras , it has got to a point that i have moved the neons to my smaller 10g tank with 6 x Black Phantom tetras, 2 x blue rams and a redtail shark , they seem more relaxed now, but that single silver tip is still terrorising the rest of the silver tips and black tetras .

Any ideas out there please and does anyone else have this problem:thanks:

You can try moving decorations around; that'll remove territories and force them to create new ones. Or remove the tetra temporarily, put it into a breeder net for a few days and then release it back; this willl make the tetra the "new" fish and force him to recreate territory. If all else fails you may need to rehome the tetra.

Unfortunately you have larger problems than the tetra though. A 15 gal tank is WAY too small for the fish you have now (the 10 gal is even worse; I'd remove the fish from there). Common plecos get up to over 16" and need a massive tank. The shark needs more swim room; a 55 gal minimum. The rams, depending on gender, will become aggressive to either each other or other fish particularly if they mate. In tank that's too small with so may fish, they are likely to become territorial and aggressive as they mature; the tetra is just the beginning. It'll get worse with the other fish as time goes on. I highly suggest either upgrading to a much larger tank or rehoming the rams, shark and pleco.

Also how new is this tank? Is it cycled (letting a tank run empty doesn't cycle it)? Have you tested ammonia, etc? Here are some links I suggest you read:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

As Librarygirl said, you are seriously over stocked. You either need a bigger tank, I would say a minimum of 30g. You seriously need to
consider re homing the pleco, IF you can get a larger tank and like the looks of a pleco, try for a
Bristlenose pleco as they only grow to 4 inches. The shark needs to be re homed unless you can get, I would say, atleast a 55g tank or bigger.

Hi i am new to the site, and quite new to keeping an aquarium, i have a 15g tank , and at the moment i have 1x common pleco, 6 x black tetra ,6 x neon tetra, 4x blue rams, 1x red tail shark, 2 x platy, and 6 x silver tip tetra .

Here is my problem , i seem to have one domminant silver tetra, whos goal in life is to "herd" all the other tetras into one corner of the tank , he swims all over the tank , but if any of the other tetra dare leave the corner the neons in particular, they are vigarously chased back by him . None of the other fish seem to bother him , just the tetras , it has got to a point that i have moved the neons to my smaller 10g tank with 6 x Black Phantom tetras, 2 x blue rams and a redtail shark , they seem more relaxed now, but that single silver tip is still terrorising the rest of the silver tips and black tetras .

I have 4 Bolivian rams in my 55 and I am going I have to move them into my 30g soon because of
Territorial issues and fighting.

Hi thanks for the redirect , newbie error on my part, also i made an error in my litres to gallons conversion, my larger tank is 30g and my smaller is 15g Sorry.
My pleco is only 2" at the moment ad will be transfered to a 100g tank later when it has been set up and cycled, both of my tanks have been fully cycled and all levels have benn checked , all the fish are healthy and lively, as i said the only issue is with that one darn Silver tip .
I like the idea of isolating the fish then reintroducing , so i think i will give it a go :thanks:

Ok, since you say you have a 30g and a 15g I would split your fish up between the tanks like this....
In the 30g:
I would do the black and phantom tetras, the pleco, the sharks, and the 4 blue rams
In the 15g:
The platys, the neons and silvery up tetras, and 2 blue rams.
Basically try and put the larger fish (by larger I mean what their adult size will be). Is there anyway possible you could get the 100g set up anytime soon? That would really be the best thing for all of the fish you have. I would get the 100g set up, and transfer all of your filter media or just move the 30g and 15g filter along side the 100g filter since you say they are cycled, this will essentially instantly cycle your 100g because it will be the same bio load between your 30g and 15g. Hope that made sense!

Thanks i might try that , the 100g won't be set up for 4-6 weeks as i am undergoing building work at home so i will not be able to set up yet, but i will certainly try your suggestion and let you know how i get on.:thanks:

Thanks i might try that , the 100g won't be set up for 4-6 weeks as i am undergoing building work at home so i will not be able to set up yet, but i will certainly try your suggestion and let you know how i get on.:thanks:

I think your fish will be ok until then. Like I said main idea to is to give the bigger fish the larger tank for the time being. It wouldnt be a bad idea
if you could somehow keep two of the rams in your 30g, I just worry about aggression between them even in a 100g since you have 6 total. Rivercats has i think 6 rams in a 220g and she has Said she still has territorial issues. Just keep an eye on your water params and do water changes as needed. Just be on the look out for ammonia spikes since you are overstocked, even though I know you are cycled, just still beware of it.

I just moved another pair and am down to 2 pairs of Rams in my 220g. The thing with rams is that as they mature and pair off and continue to age their aggression level usually heightens. Especially if they pair off. All females tend to be alittle easier to deal with and usually aren't as aggressive but all males not matter what size the tank get more aggressive with age.

Silver tipped tetras are generally pains in the backside. They are just nippy nippy nippy little pains. Then when you get an extremely aggressive male, which is probably what you have the situation gets unbearable for other fish. With his bullying he is stressing all the fish out terribly which can lead to illness issues. Personally if the store you bought them would take them back I would do that. Even when upgrading to a larger tank this behavior is likely to continue.

Back
Top Bottom