Silvertip Tetra Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakuba

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hola compañeros!

I’ve just added an extra 5 silvertip tetras to my 36 gallon tank which already had 5 Silvertips. Really wanted a nice schooling fish for a 10-15 fish school and they seemed to fit the bill, but they’re now chasing each other around and fighting. I don’t want any of them to harm each other!

Are they just establishing a pecking order and if so how long will that take? Or would it be best to take the old ones out for a few hours and re introduce them to try and merge them into one school or will that not work? Really wanted a nice school not a WWE wrestling match.

Parameters:
0 NO2, 0 NO3, 0 NH3/NH4
7.3 pH
74 degrees F
Kh 60
Gh 30
Very tannic

Tank also has one oto cat and some baby snails. Water sprite, crypts (spiralis), Anubias, and giant hair grass for plants.

B8C33C38-1189-47C0-AD6E-19D4482A5609.jpg

Attachments

• 11D3D609-5CA5-43D3-B7CF-DDA5E1744BEE.jpg
    11D3D609-5CA5-43D3-B7CF-DDA5E1744BEE.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 116
What is the ratio male to female? My males where very aggressive until i got more females, enough to go around. I think i have 5m/7f ratio.

What is the ratio male to female? My males where very aggressive until i got more females, enough to go around. I think i have 5m/7f ratio.
Hello again Aiken hope you have been well!

That could be it. Looks to be 3-4 of the slender ones are keeping the rest out of their “territory” so those are probably the males. Atleast three of the ones added yesterday were on the larger side so I’m guessing those were the females, can’t really sex the rest of them though they all seem to look the same - next time I up the size of the school I’ll try to be female heavy, but I’m not sure that will also make them school too? Have you been able to achieve that result with yours?

谢谢

Hi jakuba. Im good thx.

Males are a really orange colour, females are more of a washed out orange/yellow. They should be easy to tell apart, im fairly sure i can tell them apart in your photo.

There is a difference between schooling and shoaling. They won't shoal, ie form a tight group unless there is something stressing them. They do occupy the same part of the aquarium however if thats what you are looking for.

You dont need a big difference in m/f ratio (some fish are recommended 1/3 or 1/4). I just did a split with 1 extra female so they dont have to fight over the ladies any more.

Ah gotcha! I’ll add more females next time and see how they get along.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom