Snails In Newly Planted Tank -- Not Stocked With Fish Yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredmertz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I unfortunately did not know to rinse/clean the plants before I planted them, so naturally I now have a bunch of tiny snails in my tank (mostly hang out near the water line).

I haven't cycled the tank yet so there are no fish and no biological filter, so I am wondering anyone has any snail eradicating tips. Are there any chemicals I can use that you wouldn't want to use in a stocked aquarium?

I hate to sound like a 10-year old, but snails seriously gross me out and I want them gone!

I know about the lettuce trick, but I can't help but think that that will only reduce, not remove the number of snails.

I am willing to pull out the big guns if you all know of anything that is pretty certain to work.

Thanks!

Maybe try to take them to the fish store, they might take them. But if you dont remove them be prepaired for tons more..snails have both parts!

I don't mean to sound cruel, but I am not concerned about the snails. I just want them out in whatever is the most efficient way.

The lettuce trick will eradicate all of them. Trust me, i tried it ;) after 3 days, to collect the stragglers, they were all gone. :D

Or they might die anyway due to the tank being uncycled. Not sure about that though. :)

The lettuce trick will eradicate all of them. Trust me, i tried it ;) after 3 days, to collect the stragglers, they were all gone. :D

Or they might die anyway due to the tank being uncycled. Not sure about that though. :)

I doubt it. I had a very miniscule baby snail in my tank that I was fishless cycling in for a month and I was dosing pure ammonia and the thing stayed alive (I have no idea what it was eating either!). I actually liked it, it was cute. Unfortunately I crushed it while re-arranging the decor. :nono:

I'd try the lettuce trick first too. You don't want to use chemicals unless you absolutely need to.

Simply remove them with a spoon, when they are close from the water line. Continue doing every day until there no more. When you see them on the glass , take a fish net. You could add a pellet for pleco. They will go all on it. They are not pet, squash it, and continue with you life. Don't let them grow up, or you will have a infestation of snail.

Simply remove them with a spoon, when they are close from the water line. Continue doing every day until there no more. When you see them on the glass , take a fish net. You could add a pellet for pleco. They will go all on it. They are not pet, squash it, and continue with you life. Don't let them grow up, or you will have a infestation of snail.

I don't really agree. If you prefer not to have snails that's fine, but they are living things that should be respected. I have two Nerite snails in my tank by choice and I see them as pets (and they won't reproduce as nerites can't hatch eggs in freshwater, so the blanket statement that all snails become pests is untrue). I'd say remove them with the lettuce and at least find a pond or puddle or something outside to put them in. Some aquatic snails can't survive outside of water anyway (unless they are Pond snails, we don't know what kind they are either), but at least give them a chance instead of tossing them into the garbage. :D

librarygirl said:
I don't really agree. If you prefer not to have snails that's fine, but they are living things that should be respected. I have two Nerite snails in my tank by choice and I see them as pets (and they won't reproduce as nerites can't hatch eggs in freshwater, so the blanket statement that all snails become pests is untrue). I'd say remove them with the lettuce and at least find a pond or puddle or something outside to put them in. Some aquatic snails can't survive outside of water anyway (unless they are Pond snails, we don't know what kind they are either), but at least give them a chance instead of tossing them into the garbage. :D

I understand why you disagree of my opinion . Not all snail are the same. Sorry i.did not specify. But for is sake, and my sake. If i new about how fast they (the one that came with is plants are probably unwonted types) reproduce, i would not of keep them so long. And if you have algae in your aquarium some will not go on your lettuce. That my experience in a fresh planted aquarium .

I agree with libraygirl. They didn't ask to come home with you. Try the lettuce trick and at least take them to a pond outside or take them to you lfs.

I don't agreed, you should never add any outside species into a different environment. You could do more harm then good. Adding snail that don't have a enemy will destroys and kill all other life. You can read about this type off action in many country that are plague of foreigner animal, fish, plants, and more that are destroying there country. I think snail are a problem in Florida right now become of us.

fredmertz said:
I unfortunately did not know to rinse/clean the plants before I planted them, so naturally I now have a bunch of tiny snails in my tank (mostly hang out near the water line).

I haven't cycled the tank yet so there are no fish and no biological filter, so I am wondering anyone has any snail eradicating tips. Are there any chemicals I can use that you wouldn't want to use in a stocked aquarium?

I hate to sound like a 10-year old, but snails seriously gross me out and I want them gone!

I know about the lettuce trick, but I can't help but think that that will only reduce, not remove the number of snails.

I am willing to pull out the big guns if you all know of anything that is pretty certain to work.

Thanks!

Dose your tank to .25 mg/l of seachem cupramine. You will need a copper test kit. This will eradicate the snails. Do not use with a UV sterilizer or any invertebrates you wish to keep alive. It is safe with plants though.

Shane83 said:
Dose your tank to .25 mg/l of seachem cupramine. You will need a copper test kit. This will eradicate the snails. Do not use with a UV sterilizer or any invertebrates you wish to keep alive. It is safe with plants though.

Or buy a clown loach

Back
Top Bottom