Some Final questions before I put water in my new Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok, It's almost time, I'm just putting the stain on my tank stand that I built. Once that's complete, It's time for the water, so I have a few last questions before I go.

#1. What else should I get?
I have a 29 Gallon tank
Penguin 200 HOB filter
100W Heater
1 - net
25' Python no spill kit with 20' extension hose
algae scrubber
aquarium Pharm Master Test Kit
Airpump
Air Line
Air Airstone

Things I have left to buy are the gravel, wood and slate (for a little cave/structure)

I'm going with some low light live plants as well. (probably some swords and some java fern)

so is there anything missing from my list?

#2 - My stock choice
I really like the Tiger Barbs so I plan on having 4-6 of them
I will also have some cory Cats (probably 4)
and I was thinking about 1-2 Gourami (I love the Gold one)

So, what kinds of cory cat should I get? also, would 3-4 tetra's be ok with these guys?

I appreciate all your advice here.

Thanks

I would bump up the Cory number to 5. Whichever one that you like the best is fine. My personal favorite is the Panda Cory. If you do go with Tetras, get at least 5 also. The Gourami would be a nice center piece fish.

Regarding the heater, since it is a 29 gal tank, you should have a 150 Watt heater. Is there any way that you can return it and get one of the larger size?

I agree, a 150W would be better. The rule is 5wpg for heaters. If you need to crank it up one day and your house is really cold at night or you need to treat an illness (hopefully not), you need more wattage. I've recently just bought a second heater since my first one was too weak.

Do you have a thermometer? Do you have something you want to cycle your tank with (pure ammonia, uncooked-unseasoned shrimp, fishfood)?

I'm not sure if the barbs won't try to nip on the gouramis feelers?!

you need a dechlor. of some kind. Prime by seachem is the best and lasts a long time. Don't worry about returning the heater just buy a 2nd 50w. 2 are better than one incase one breaks but if they are placed in opp. corners you get a more even heat flow. Watch for the barbs trying to nip. If you do want them add them last after all others have setup territories, this can help but not for sure. A thermometer is amust aswell. The heaters therms can't be trusted all the time.
Panda cories are my favs aswell as they are on the smaller side... perfect for your size tank.
unless you like the airstones, they aren't necessary. The hob filter will creat plenty of surface agitation to airate the tank. good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom