SOS!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat30

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys;

I am in a great need of an advice. I am a total newbie when it comes to fish. Being desperate for a pet (yes, I know it sounds very bad from the beginning), I went to a pet store and started asking fish as I always liked them. I was told that there is nothing easier than looking after goldfish and even child could do it.

Clearly, it is not the case. I got a 35 liters tank, cycled water for 24 hrs and treated it with AquaSafe to neutralise chlorine, and SafeStart that supposed to contain friendly bacteria. I also put in gravel and a wooden plank (all washed carefully beforehand). 24hrs later I went to the shop and got 4 goldfish (2 small fantailes, 1 small balck moor, 1 small/medium black oranda). I also got two plants, one in a pot and one floating ( I have no clue how they are called though). The fish seemed to be happy in their new home and I was happy too to have new friends. But this morning, I found tank to be all green, one fish dead and other 3 gasping for air. I do not know how did it happened. The filter was one, and they did not have direct sunlight either.

I called the shop and I was told to get the fish out of water and put them in a bowl and then get rid off the water in the tank and clean it properly. So now I have a fish swimming in salad bowl and I am not sure what to do next. I cleaned the tank, put the fresh water in with clean gravel and added AquaSafe and SafeStart. The whole cycle will be finished tomorrow but I am worried if my fish will survive till then. I have put some oxygen tablets in their bowls but I do not know how much longer they can stay there. The water temperature in the tank is still lower than in the bowls and I wonder how I can rise it - and I am worried I will do something wrong and will hurt or kill my fish. I will be very grateful for advice so I can help my fish.
Kat

You were given horrible advice.

I would also return the fish. The first goldfish requires 20 gallons, then it's an additional 10 gallons for each goldfish after that.

Personally, I don't think they are easier to keep than other fish. They are very messy and require more tank cleaning.

Definitely follow the link provided above. It's really helpful.

Also, it takes roughly 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank, not 24 hours as you've been led to believe.

I am so sorry you were given poor advice! Please read the links given above & ask any questions you may have. Returning the fish is your best option here unless you can buy atleast a 50gal tank immediately. Fancy goldfish are not easier to keep than most fish- they may not need a heater but they require a ton of water, a cycled tank, heavy filtation & lots of aeration because they are very sensitive to their water conditions, very messy & have higher oxygen needs than other species of fish. Please dont hesitate to ask questions!

All great advice above. The fish died (most likely) due to ammonia poisoning (ammonia caused by waste and excess food) as the filter has not been cycled properly to develop the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite and then nitrites to nitrates (i.e. the nitrification process). The others were suffering from the effects of ammonia poisoning. You did right by getting them out of the tank ASAP, but now you'll have to address the issue.

Once you have fish, and if you intend to keep any fish through the process, you'll have to do a lot of water changes to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels down. Those 2nd and 3rd links at the link above are great resources.

I too agree that's way too many fish for the tank. Especially goldfish, which cause a LOT of waste and you could end up spending your days doing multiple water changes.

Regarding the temperature, you can buy submersible heaters to regulate the water temperature.

Sorry that you were given poor advice :\ Good luck.

Thank you guys! I am reading all the info and I have also ordered big tank, that should be delivered in 24 hrs - cost the fortune but hey, I got the fish so it is my job to provide what they need. It is strange but I spoken with people in the shop and told them that one dead fish was devastating enough and I do not want to cause my fish any harm but no one suggested to bring them back, even for safe keeping until I recycle new tank.

Good job on getting a big tank!! :) You will need a filter that is minimum 10x the tank size for goldies (ie a 40gal needs min 400gph filtetration) & some sort of additional aeration (bubble wands, airstones, or powerheads). And with a bigger tank, a python/similar water changer will be a worthwhile investment because you will be doing LOTS of water changes until your tank is properly cycled. Do you have an API master test kit yet? This is a MUST have! Amazon sells them for @10 less than in the big chain stores. In the meantime, change atleast 50% of their water 2-3x times a day to keep them healthy (make sure its properly conditioned & temperature matched). Keep up the good work! We will help you through this! :)

Maybe don't put the plank in ?? Not sure what kind of wood it is. Could that have caused the tank to go green? I don't think algae could have grown that fast :(

Thank you for all the support, it really means a lot :) Yep, API master tests on its way. I would have never guessed that there is so much to learn about fish!

Keep asking questions. I am new to this also and have received great advice here. The only thing I could add as help would be to keep reading and researching. I have also been a victim of store advice and it is worthless. Good luck with your new tank and I'm sure you will get great enjoyment from your fish.

I have a few ideas kinda stated but things i think you may look into...

1.) To much light will cause Agle growth. I did not ever turn my light on for the first 2 weeks.
2.) Fish i did not add for 4 weeks although they make great products to "pre cycle your tank" i like to add then wait.
3.) Add one fish.. which ever you decide... danio for example are hardy fish.
If you want gold fish although i think they make to big a mess some like them... Then again .. add just one.

i note you have added plants. .. read the stickys here...

Also pet stores are trying to sale you fish ... BUT you will end up buying more if you add to many at a time.

i added mine in 5 stages. each a week apart and a few at a time.

I have over filtration by loads yet the most i have added at one time was 5.

Add let the bio load catch up .. add.... a few at a time.

although you cycle your tank with say 1 fish there is a need to equalize your filters ability to clean and cycle ... you add to many fish at one time... your filter may cycle again before it catches up.

were if you add just a few ( depending fish type and size ) your filter will be mor likly to be able to add to the load rather then cycle to get to it.. IF that make sense.

and that is my 2 cents

Hi guys,
Thank you ALL for the imput! I have learnt more chatting to you than from "professionals" in the pet store. I am relieved to say that the fish survived the night. I got temperature right in the tank and transfered them last night and they seem to be doing alright - especially Oranda. The poor fellow could not really move in the bowl so he is happy to stretch his fins! They ate their breakfast and seem to be in a playful mood. So keep your fingers (and fins!) crossed for us :)

Kat30 said:
Hi guys,
Thank you ALL for the imput! I have learnt more chatting to you than from "professionals" in the pet store. I am relieved to say that the fish survived the night. I got temperature right in the tank and transfered them last night and they seem to be doing alright - especially Oranda. The poor fellow could not really move in the bowl so he is happy to stretch his fins! They ate their breakfast and seem to be in a playful mood. So keep your fingers (and fins!) crossed for us :)

thats good!

it sucks you were given such terrible advice. big box stores are great for having supplies like filters,food, and tanks but unfortunately they just wanna sell more fish by giving awful. I would look into some small local fish stores if you have any around you. kinda feel em out and see if you like em! :) good luck!

I would recommend leaving the plank out this time unless it's been treated,because that may whats been the issue the first time.

Back
Top Bottom