Sponge Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do you make one and if you have a one gallon bowl will it cycle?

1g is really too small for pretty much anything & would be extremely difficult to cycle if not impossible. IMO

Even a small body of water will cycle if the key elements for bacterial growth are present. The issue with a tank this size in particular is lack of volume.
The balance could get upset by the smallest of changes and you'll have a wipeout.

But to answer the initial question, yes, it will.

To make a sponge filter you just need a sponge, some pvc, airline tubing, and air pump. There are a lot of articles on it with photos.l that'll help your build.

Last edited:
Even a small body of water will cycle if the key elements for bacterial growth are present. The issue with a tank this size in particular is lack of volume.
The balance could get upset by the smallest of changes and you'll have a wipeout.

But to answer the initial question, yes, it will.

To make a sponge filter you just need a sponge, some pvc, airline tubing, and air pump. There are a lot of articles on it with photos.l that'll help your build.
Whats the pvc for?

DO you put the airstone in it and then put the PVC in the sponge? Should there be holes on the other end. Should there be holes in the pvc?

I just drill a hole in the side of the pvc near the top at an angle just big enough to put the airline tube in. I don't use airstones. Then I push the pvc down into the middle of a piece of sponge. Sometimes it'll need to be weighted down, if that happens I usually glue it to a piece of slate.

With the amount of time and effort involved to diy, its usually cheaper to buy a few cheap ones from an online site. Check ebay.

Yes but the smallest is still going to take up a quarter of my tank. Is the sponge inside the PVC? Couldn't you just put a airstone into a sponge and run it and that would be a sponge filter?

Ok. How much performance is lost if you don't use pvc or anything and just put the airstone in the sponge? Could you use a car washing sponge from the dollar store?

I've never used that kind of sponge so I don't know. I use the sponge filter inserts for aquaclear filters cut to size. It's probably not going to have much flow without a tube on it, that's what really directs the flow through the sponge.

The sponge filter inserts from aquaclear are small though. Can you get the pvc from a pet store?

eduguy said:
The sponge filter inserts from aquaclear are small though. Can you get the pvc from a pet store?

The 110s aren't, they are big enough to make a few with one insert.

The pet store may not have pvc but for all the cost and effort it might be cheaper to just buy a premade one. Some lfs have them.

I know i have seen them at a pet store but they are too big. They are as tall as my bowl and will take up a quarter of the tank. Also you need to suction cup them and bowls don't work well with suction cups.

Back
Top Bottom