Starting 2nd tank using PWC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gal tank that has been up since January and appears to be problem free. Fish are happy, water is clean, testing levels are good.

My son now want to start a 10 gal tank of his own. To help the process along, is it okay to use water from a PWC in my existing tank to start this new tank? Planning to do a fishless cycle but wondering if this would help kick-start the bacteria.

a better way would be to use filter media and substrate from the established tank

there is very little of the good bacteria in the water itself. As FishyPeanut said, you should use either filter material or substrate from the 20 G to jumpstart the 10 G. Or, if you could get the filter for the 10 G now you can run it alongside your current filter in the 20 G for a couple of weeks, allowing the good bacteria to establish themselves on the new filter. Then just move the filter to the 10 G.

just supporting peoples comments...the water indeed holds little bacteria...it all grows on surfaces like filter media, tank walls, fake plants and decorations, and your gravel. move some of that stuff over to jump start the cycling.

Great information. Thanks!

I've been planning to swap out my plastic plants for live plants so I simply put a couple of them into my son's new tank.

Back
Top Bottom