Starting a 25G Cube Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbFErwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I wanted to see if you could give me some advice for my aquarium setup.

I am going with a 25 gallon cube tank, but I need to figure out which filter, lights, and heater to go with and was hoping you could steer me in the right direction.

I want to go with a 50 gallon filter, the people at the fish store recommended the aqua clear because of its 3 different types of filtration. What would you recommend? I want something quiet without sacrificing function.

They also said I should go with a 100w heater any brand you recommend?

As for lights (this is very important to me), I know I want LEDs (the tank is 18 in across) I'm thinking Fluval Ultrabrights or Marineland Doublebrights?

Stocking options/ideas as well as aquascaping ideas , please help me out on this. I'm thinking an onyx black bottom, some neon tetras, blue crayfish... need more ideas, I want something different thats not your average tank.

Did I forget anything?

Thanks in advance! :thanks:

I'm also debating on whether or not to use live plants instead of plastic ones. What are the pros/cons and what do I need to know?

I am going with a 25 gallon cube tank, but I need to figure out which filter, lights, and heater to go with and was hoping you could steer me in the right direction.

I want to go with a 50 gallon filter, the people at the fish store recommended the aqua clear because of its 3 different types of filtration. What would you recommend? I want something quiet without sacrificing function.

As for lights (this is very important to me), I know I want LEDs (the tank is 18 in across) I'm thinking Fluval Ultrabrights or Marineland Doublebrights?

Stocking options/ideas as well as aquascaping ideas , please help me out on this. I'm thinking an onyx black bottom, some neon tetras, blue crayfish... need more ideas, I want something different thats not your average tank.

Did I forget anything?

Thanks in advance! :thanks:

Have you seen the CPO/orange dwarf crayfish/Mexican dwarf crayfish), Cambarellus shufeldtii (Cajun dwarf crayfish).

Celestial Pearl Danios

The Crayfish would be a little bit too big 4+".

Think maybe a nano tank with Spiderwood.

Do you have a top for it or are you totally wide open?

If you're looking into a HOB (hang on back) filter, then yes, an Aqua Clear is a great option. IMO, the Fluval C4 would be a better filter. They're both made by Hagen but the C4 is like an AC but updated with some innovated features. I suggest researching it. But if you want ultimate silence out of your filtration, you can't beat a canister filter. If it's within your budget, I would definitely go with a Fluval 206.

I like Aqueon Pro heaters. They're shatter proof and come with a lifetime warranty. Mine have kept my temps stable for years. I've also heard good things about Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater. One last option to consider is if you get a canister filter, you can look at inline heaters if you want less equipment in the tank.

There's a lot of good options in LED's nowadays, with news of new ones in the works. What is your budget on lighting? If you plan on getting this tank planted eventually, I'd get an LED light that is dimmable. That way you can tame the light now for a fish-only or low light planted tank, with the ability to crank it up for the future for more light needy plant species. But again, with extra power and features come a spendy price tag.

Stocking options/ideas as well as aquascaping ideas , please help me out on this. I'm thinking an onyx black bottom, some neon tetras, blue crayfish... need more ideas, I want something different that's not your average tank.
This is a good time to think ahead. If you plan on going the planted tank route eventually, I'd get a good planted substrate now. Something like Eco-Complete or Floramax. It's such a pain to swap out substrate later. You could go the black sand route, but you'll need root tabs (if you go planted) as sand is inert. It's not the most ideal planted substrate, but it's doable to an extent. Again, is budget a restraint? If so, sand or gravel is inexpensive.

Last edited:
I'm also debating on whether or not to use live plants instead of plastic ones. What are the pros/cons and what do I need to know?

I'm not going to lie, I started off with fake plants at first. However, once I finally took the plunge to real plants, I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. The pros to real plants outweigh the cons any day, IMO. They just provide a more natural habitat to reduce stress for you fish. They also help balance your aquarium's water chemistry by absorbing and using toxins. But one notable con is the extra work in trimming and potential algae if you don't balance your lighting. But it's a labor of love maintaining my planted tanks. I find it stress relieving.

Anyways, I would suggest researching the differences between "low tech vs. high tech" planted tanks. And other planted tank related topics before you make purchasing decisions.

Here are some links (first one has some good pros and cons):
Aquarium Plants - Real or Artificial?
Aquatic Eden - Aquascaping Aquarium Blog
9 Best Freshwater Aquarium Plants for Beginners | Home Aquaria
Introduction to Fertilizing the Planted Tank - Aquarium Advice

Many more sites and resources online and in youtube. Research, read, and more research! :)

Last edited:
I have a Fluval 206 canister and an Aquaclear 50 on my 16 gallon. The AC50 will be moved to my new 46 gallon when I start cycling it. I really like the Fluval 06 series. They're quiet, easy to maintain, have adjustable flow, and lots of room for media. I ordered a 306 for my 46g. Aquaclears are my favorite HOB's. They're workhorses. I like their simple design, and that you can use different kinds of media, not cartridges. In my AC50, I have the coarse foam block it came with, a piece of blue/white filter floss for polishing, and the ceramic rings. When I needed to use Nitra-Zorb, I put some in a nylon stocking and put it under the ceramic rings. Easy peazy!

For lights, I really, really like the Current USA Satellite Plus light bar I got for my 46. They have sizes down to 18". It has a remote, and more colors than you can shake a scraper at!

Attachments

• colors.jpg
    colors.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 66
  • light8.jpg
    light8.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 59
  • light10.jpg
    light10.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for the responses everyone!

After a lot of research, here are some of my ideas for fish

• Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami
  • Various Guppys
  • Angelicus Botia Loach
  • Rio Negro Pleco
  • American Flagfish
  • Blue Ram
  • Pipefish
  • Kuhlii Loach
  • Ghost Catfish
  • Hillstream Loach
  • Crayfish or shrimp
Now, Here are two I'm concerned with

I want 2 Kissing Gouramis, but is a 25 gallon 18x18x18 big enough?
these are the fish I'm most excited about

I also prefer neon tetras to cardinal tetras, but I am concerned with the temperature needs of the neon (I read 68-74) in reference to the other fish I want to put in the tank. Will I just have to settle for cardinals?

Also, should I use the general rule of 1" per 1 gallon for maximum stocking?

:thanks:

I also prefer neon tetras to cardinal tetras, but I am concerned with the temperature needs of the neon (I read 68-74) in reference to the other fish I want to put in the tank. Will I just have to settle for cardinals?

Both Neons and Cardinals should be fine up to 80 F. The more important parameters for them are GH (they might struggle over 12 dGH) and pH (should really to be below 8, and preferably below 7.7 or so).

Also, neither of these species like bright light. If you're getting a real tricked-out set of LEDs, you'll want to dim the light until your plants are mature enough that they shade the mid/low levels of the tank.

AquaClear filters are very reputable and don't cost an arm and a leg. For your setup, an AQ 50 and a 100 W heater would be fine.

Also, should I use the general rule of 1" per 1 gallon for maximum stocking?

Use this site instead.

12 inch Oscar is not the same as 12 1 inch Neons for their bioload. 1 inch per gallon is not good to use for stocking.

No to Kissing Gouramis, too big, probably too aggressive.

Try aqadvisor that will help you.

I love the cobalt neotherm heaters. Expensive but worth it to me. Aqua clear filters are the bomb for hang on the back filters. Sounds like you are really carefully planning this out. I wish more people would do that.

Back
Top Bottom