Starting a 90 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jroc0102

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking to.start a 90 gallon tank and I was hope to get some help with fish I want to put in the tank some sites I read says. That its OK and some say not to so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice here are the fish tell me what u think thanks

Pleco
Striped Raphael catfish
Angle fish
Discus
African leaf fish

Anything. Helpful will be appreciated
Thanks

Discus aren't a good species to start with, work with something hardier/easier to maintain and less expensive first. The others should be alright in a 90, though the leaf fish may be a bit more trouble. They're ambush predators, and may or may not eat flakes/pellets along with the other fish.
Angels are cichlids, so they're territorial when they mature. Best to start with a group of 5-6 young ones and swap off the extras after they grow out and you have an established pair.
The raphael catfish is a very hardy critter, but basically invisible because they're strictly nocturnal. It will hide all day then roam the tank after the lights are off, eating anything small enough to fit into its mouth.

Hi, first thing you should figure out is how you want to cycle the tank (fish-in or fishless). There's a link below in my signature: guide to starting a FW aquarium. The first thing it covers is cycling; ;read the links for both fish-in and fishless and choose one.

Good advice above on stocking when you're ready.

Wow! A 90 is a great way to start. So many options. Definitely do lots of research in advance. Google each specie you are interested in. Check out Aqadvisor.com. I recommend a fishless cycle. It gives you Time to research your fish, and way fewer water changes. BTW, water changes will be much easier if you invest in a Python or Aqueon water changer. Good luck!

welcome JROC! I am starting a 90 gallon as well. I went with a fishless cycle and added me an Angels Plus ACtive filter (seeded media) and I believe I just finished cycling today!! So excited!! so I am getting ready to get me some fish! woo hoo!
here is my plan - not like yours at all, but a thought
2 german blue rams
2 dwarf gourami
2 molly
15 harlequin rasbora
5 bosemani rainbow
5 zebra loach

I think the discus would work in your tank, but they are kinda hard to take care of, so if you really want them maybe just leave room for them in your tank and stock the others. when you are sure you will be able to handle their picky nature you can always add them later. good luck!

Jroc0102 said:
I am looking to.start a 90 gallon tank and I was hope to get some help with fish I want to put in the tank some sites I read says. That its OK and some say not to so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice here are the fish tell me what u think thanks

Pleco
Striped Raphael catfish
Angle fish
Discus
African leaf fish

Anything. Helpful will be appreciated
Thanks

Go with the fishless cycle, its better on ur fish.

Back
Top Bottom