Starting a new 14 gallon, can I use changed water from my 20 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Starting new 14 gallon, use changed water from 20
I was supposed to start cycling a second tank a few weeks ago, but didn't.

I am about to vacuum the gravel from my 20 gallon. Can I use the removed water to start a cycle in the 14 gallon. I will only add fish to the new tank once it is cycled. The water readings from the 20 gallon are 0 Ammonia 0 N2, 20 N3, PH 7.9. I do vacuum gravels more than I have read are necessary, but when I do, there seems to be a fair amount of waste removed.

I have 10, 7 week old platy fry that are currently in my QT tank which I would like go back to using as a QT. I also got suggestions from people for bright, colorful, "glowy" fish that I would like to add to my collection. I am hoping I can give away some of my platies, but am preparing to accept I am not going to get takers. Not to mention, I now have a batch of 12 newborn platies currently housed in a 1 gallon, makeshift with bubbler. I may have to move them to the 5 gallon QT. Argh!

I am also worried the fry are going to mate with each other and we all know how not good interbreeding is!

Back to my original - if I were to add vacuumed water from the 20 gallon to the 14 along with pretreated prime water, will it be okay bio-load-wise?

Tan water has no bb in it. I would add some of your old filter marital to the new tank, and go from there.
Also brother and sister fry mate all the time. Most fish that you but are decedents form the same parent. While it does loose genetic possibility and can cause stunted growth, etc. that takes awhile to take effect. Ie hundreds of batches

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Inbreeding is how tropical fish are selectively bred. Look up wild guppies some time and you will see what they began as for the hobby. Only through inbreeding do we have the fancy fish we do now. It takes approximately 5 generations for obvious genetic issues to arise which can take a year or more to happen.

Inbreeding is how tropical fish are selectively bred. Look up wild guppies some time and you will see what they began as for the hobby. Only through inbreeding do we have the fancy fish we do now. It takes approximately 5 generations for obvious genetic issues to arise which can take a year or more to happen.

I'm afraid I may be at the 5th generation. Many of my fry have very s-shaped bodies or they look like they are upside-down spine wise. They are active and overall cute, but what if they are in major pain or so susceptible to disease - I take it really hard anytime I lose a fish!

Back
Top Bottom