Starting my tank-advice needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mypippa1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have just joined this site as I came across it looking for advice but it all looks very friendly and I am looking forward to recieving and giving advice on it. I have just bought new tank which is 360 litres(about 80 gallons). I am intending to make it tropical so looking for advice as I have only kept coldwater fish or tropical community tanks before. It came with a juwel unifilter 1000 which I assume the correct capacity for the tank but I need purchase a heating system still. What wattage would I need and does anyone have advice for brand? I thought to help bacteria develop I would place ceramic balls as the substrate but am unsure whether this will be beneficial or not? I was not sure whether to go for a planted aquarium or not as the fish I would like are large and many would eat plants but I have read that plants help with nitrate so would it still be worth a try and if so how do i start a planted please? It is UV lighting so plants should grow easy? Sorry this so long but I thought I should include detail and have many queries about aquarium. I would like one oscar fish and a arowana and was considering some silver dollar fish. To keep tank clean I would like a common plecostomus and catfish(advice on species appreciate) and a blue lobster. Would this be appropriote mix for tank? Thank you for read all and really appreciate any help you offer:thanks:

I don't want to give wrong advice for the setup because i'm still fairly new, but as for catfish, I have to recommend Cory cats. I have emerald cory cats in my tropical tank and they are my favorite fish. They are super active and will eat anything that makes it's way to the bottom of the tank.

Thank you for your replies,I found them helpful. I would still appreciate more advice and one more question.Does anyone know if I would be safe to place this tank on a second floor? It has depth so would it be bad for floor if a corner for support?

I wouldnt reccomebs the blue crayfish with the oscar ... Dinner. Silver dollars love to be in relatively large groups.

I don't know about that heavy tank upstairs, but I don't think it should be a problem. I would place it close to a load barring wall to be safe. You would have to ask a carpenter for spun advice on this though.

As for eating I have used tetra heaters. I haven't had any problems, and I got mine at Walmart for about $25 I think.

When it comes to stocking you have a million directions you can go. When I first started I picked some fish almost at random. Lucky I picked semi aggressive and i am very pleased with the stock options i had and still have. . I would recommend finding a particular fish that you can't live without Then I structured the rest of my stock around it. Hope that helps.

Here are two products I use. The special blend will help get the right bacteria growing in your aquarium. It is really good to help start the nitrogen cycle.
Prime is really good to neutralize bad things in tap water, and ammonia. Be sure to get a test kit that checks ammonia nitrate and nitrite ph exc

Be sure and let your tank cycle for 2 weeks before adding fish. Here is a link that explains it pretty well.

http://lickmybrain.deviantart.com/art/Nitrogen-Cycle-Aquarium-177574033

Attachments

• image-1863654196.jpg
    image-1863654196.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 46
  • image-3955717643.jpg
    image-3955717643.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom