Stocking a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pstant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a new 10 gallon aquarium that is in the process of a fishless cycle. Just wanted to get some ideas for fish when the time comes. I am doing it with my parents and they want variety as opposed to a school. Suggestions?

Also, I am a fan of platies but read that 10 gallon really isn't ideal for them, anybody know anything about that?

Your really limited to the amount and type of fish that can be kept in a 10g. Fish such as nano fish (Ember tetras, sparkling gourami, Endler's, Scarlet badis, lambchop rasboras) are your best choices. Pygmy or Dwarf cory cats are good for bottom feeders. Plus with you could also do Red Cherry Shrimp with many of the nano fish and have a really nice little tank. In a 10g the only live bearer I'd do is Endlers. They are very brightly colored and you could do 6-8 with say a sparkling gourami and 4 pygmy or dwarf cory's and possible some shrimp and have a diverse tank.

Also should mention that the PH of my water is rather high, around 8.

PH really isn't that important. As long as it is not extremely high(not readable on test kits)it should be fine because fish can adjust. Not sure about if you should lower your ph because 8 is pretty high but you should never mess with your ph unless you need too.

PH really isn't that important. As long as it is not extremely high(not readable on test kits)it should be fine because fish can adjust. Not sure about if you should lower your ph because 8 is pretty high but you should never mess with your ph unless you need too.

Does anyone think I need to bring it down? Or is 8 ok?

Pstant said:
Does anyone think I need to bring it down? Or is 8 ok?

You'd be fine at 8 but if you feel that you need to bring it down use some driftwood in the tank. The wood leaches tannic acids and will lower ph and hardness of water. I've also heard peat moss works but can stain the water. Outside of that I wouldn't try messing with it, the fish will adjust fine.

I have read that wood only reduces ph whilst the tannins are being released...once they have Thats it as far as reducing ph. Its whats I've read a few times simpsons I would research first....not as experienced as some of these guys tho ....

I have read that wood only reduces ph whilst the tannins are being released...once they have Thats it as far as reducing ph. Its whats I've read a few times simpsons I would research first....not as experienced as some of these guys tho ....

It is the tannins in the water that help to soften the water and help lower the ph. But since most don't like the look of their tanks with tannin colored water and add carbon or purgen to remove them, using DW isn't a viable option. The fish I would be most concerned with that high of a ph would be the pygmy and dwarf cory cats. They truely don't acclimate to that high of water. Now Endler's would be fine or you could just do a few colorful male guppies.

Using RO is not as easy as it sounds. I know I had to do it in the 220g in the beginning until my organic dirt, well all the peat in it, was in there long enough to beginning soften the water properly. When using RO you have to test and monitor you KH/GH/PH and you have to figure out how much RO to tap water is needed to keep your tank at the desired readings. Just using straight RO and readding enough minerals to attain your desired levels is also not good because you are constantly having to add essential minerals back into the water. Buying fish that work with your water is much easier than trying to change you water chemistry and maintain that change.

Reverse Osmosis water. RO water is pure, everything is stripped out of it during the process which also gives you water with a KH/GH of 0.

Rivercats said:
I have to agree I have been eyeing them for some time, they fascinate me and have considered giving them a shot.

Totally agree!! I started the 40b's cycle today.
Going to do a Shellie's tank at work. It's going to so much fun I think! Lol

You could do 2-3 platys in a 10 gal with some shrimp and/or snails, but you'd be maxed out in terms of fish, so there wouldn't be room for much variety.

Your PH is fine btw, don't mess with it. Fish will adapt to your PH as long as it's stable.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Would I be able to do 2 platies and 2 guppys or maybe 1 platy and 3 guppies? Or is that too much of an overload? Just looking for options with fish.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Would I be able to do 2 platies and 2 guppys or maybe 1 platy and 3 guppies? Or is that too much of an overload? Just looking for options with fish.

You'd do better with one platy and three male guppies. The reason I say male guppies is because you'll get more color and not have to worry about fry over running your tank. I would also get a male platy or the male guppies will be trying to mate with a female constantly and stress a female to the max.

Back
Top Bottom